28: Clint

This is the first of four Clint chapters that will round out the rest of the book and it will end at Chapter 31. But don't worry, we still have a lot left and I've been mulling over ideas for weeks and finally found a good one, a shocking one. This isn't the end yet, there's still a lot of story and a lot of characters to meet!

The entire battlefield was silent for almost ten minutes after everyone had taken a knee in support of Tony. Tony Stark was my inspiration to get into the work that I do at SHIELD. Seeing him work on tech and return from the dead all those years ago, still raring to go was like nothing I had ever seen before. He was this plain old human who seemed just crazy enough to go out and fight people that were double his size and strength. It was insane to think about and impressed me and all of SHIELD. Seeing that impressive and impenetrable man lay dead with half of his face burned off felt like a nightmare.

I had wrapped Logan in a hug as soon as everyone stood up and refused to let her go, long after the battle had been declared a success. I was in fact still holding onto her as the Avengers moved to a make shift camp just outside the ruined compound. I didn't even know if Pepper had plans to rebuild so the compound was nothing but a smouldering crater, just another mark left on the world by Thanos. I glared at the remains of the compound before turning to find that Logan had finished her conversation with Pepper. She wrapped the woman in a tight hug before wandering over and doing the same to me.

"Pepper's gonna start planning the funeral for late October. It's gonna be for both Tony and Nat in order to celebrate the two people who died to let this happen. I agreed with her plan, they both deserve the biggest funeral on the planet."

I nodded in agreement, my eyes tearing up at the thought of Nat. I had almost forgotten about her and the fact that she was also never coming back. I knew that Nat wouldn't want me to be sad about her for too long and she'd want me to go home, to finally reunite with my kids.

"We can return when they're ready," I told her and Logan nodded in agreement. "I really want to go home as fast as possible. I need to see the kids."

Logan laughed and nodded in agreement before pulling out her phone. She texted both Leo and Alex and told them both that we were finally coming home. It seemed as though Tim was back and very eager to see his grand kids and his surrogate daughter. Logan would likely have to help them recover the Red Legion in the near future so I wanted to ensure that I got plenty of time with her. And then, once everything had gone back to normal, we could finally settle down and just be parents and be safe and happy. The years of running and hiding were over and I was eager to just sit at home and do nothing.

"We should tell Steve we're headed out," I informed and Logan nodded before following me over to Cap who was reuniting with Bucky and Sam.

They had both been snapped so it was all smiles and hugs as the whole team finally got back together.

"Cap?" Logan asked and he turned before grinning and wrapping her in a hug.

"Logan, I'm so glad you're alright," he informed and let go of her before moving over to me. "I told her before this started to keep an eye on you and she seems to have succeeded."