《Eighth encounter》

Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively

Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively . . .  

***

Xiao Zhan's POV

The faint sound of a zither started playing in the background when the quiet voice of a man spoke,

"It's been sixteen years, and it feels like a dream."

"You're awake," another voice answered in a whisper, deep silence falling down between the two, and a tear escaped from one's eye while the soft tune of a flute started playing in the darkness of the night, engulfing the pain and sorrow of sixteen years gap.

A tear escaped my eyes while I didn't even understand why I was crying; the memory felt so familiar while feeling distant; who were those voices?

And why did they felt so familiar and close to my heart, as if it was an old memory, buried deep inside my unconsciously mind, but that was impossible, right?

The voice felt familiar, both of them as if they had stirred up something inside me, like an old recollection of memories filled with blurred faces; my heart was aching because of it without even my mind understanding why.

The gentle voice of Zhouxuan spoke up again, "have you ever asked yourself if there is a way to measure gains and losses, good and bad and what is black and what is white?" Her voice was soothing like velvet as I felt my bleeding.

It was the exact few words she had said with tears inside her eyes and old trails staining her cheeks before she left, never turning back again until today, we collided again.

Slowly with the back of my hand, I rubbed away the tears that I was trying to bite back, looking around me in the room, trying to recall where I was when everything hit back.

I was abandoned alone in this world, everyone who promised to stay left, to no one surprise too.

Once upon a time, I used to be a normal kid of my age, too, that until the incident happened; I don't know if I should have seen it coming as people had tried to warn me, and even fate seemed to have dropped hints.

But I was blind, or I didn't want to open my eyes to see the truth; whether it was, I could still hear my brother's teasing voice next to my ear when we were younger.

He was the total opposite of me, calm, talkative, easy-going, loved to joke, and just a person anyone would love, and of course, he had a boyfriend.

I remember how he once joked that if he would die young that during his funeral, I should take the bouquet of his coffin and throw it into the crowd to see who's next.

My heart tightened at the memory as I sighed, ruffling a hand through my hair; if he only knew at the time, he wouldn't have joked about it.

My eyes roamed around the lonely and peaceful room as the birds outside hummed a song; I stretched my legs, getting of Wang Yibo's couch as I glanced at the clock, it was 9 am, but he wasn't back yet.