《Thirty-first encounter》

How long is forever

How long is forever . . . ?

Sometimes just one second . . .

***

Wang Yibo's POV

Somehow, I know I am a young child again.

I find myself in a sterile white room that is alien and familiar; why do I know this place?

There were a few adults dressed in medical scrubs in the room, watching me; something about them made me nervous.

I looked down at the table and discovered I had been drawing with crayons, it's a rainbow, but there are no windows in this room.

Eventually, I put my crayons away and wandered to another part of the room; in the corner, there's a table with a pile of books.

A little boy sits there, reading.

As I approached him, I hear myself ask a question, "how long is forever?"

The boy looked up from his book; his eyes were two deep pools of unknown emotions. It took him a fracture of a moment to answer, "sometimes, just one second."

And that was when our eyes collided; I realized who he was; Xiao Zhan.

The image faded as I was back in the room; my head felt like it got filled with cotton as my hands touched the floor.

Everything in the room seemed familiar, and all the memories washed over me; it was as if this world and I were connected.

I don't remember how long I sat there, but at some point, the puzzle pieces fell together inside my mind as I knew where Yibo was.

My feet led the way as I stood up, walking towards the door and only once glancing back to the small room that hid so many memories and recollections of scenes I long ago had forgotten.

While I was back in the room, I dusted off my clothes, walking towards the door leading to the hallway, my heart beating inside my ear.

As I stood in the hallway, silence dawned upon me, Songyun was nowhere in sight, and I was all alone, yet I had the feeling someone was watching me.

I continued walking through the long hallway, just as I remembered it to be, a long path until the darkness fully engulfed me, and there was no way back.

The first time I walked down here was when Zhan warned me, the second time was when I met Haikuan, the third time, I found the stairs to the roof where Zhouxuan was, and I know, this time, I would find the one I was searching for all along.

Call it intuition, but the silence was nagging at me; something felt wrong, I knew I got watched.

My eyes flew around to the walls closing me in, but nowhere did I saw a pair of eyes watching me, yet if I held my footsteps in for a mere second, I would hear it.