《Twenty-eighth encounter》

The lesson of history is that no one learns

The lesson of history is that no one learns . . .

***

Chen Zhouxuan's POV

My fingers flew over my keyboard as I watched the numbers and letters shift quickly.

I hummed a quiet melody under my breath as I continued my work.

"You are surprisingly good with computers, huh?" Xuan Lu took place opposite of me, sipping her cup of tea as she watched me.

I just nodded; after all, I grew up between the zero's and one's, my parents were creators of technic programs, and it had always been an escape of mine to dive into a world filled with logic, no emotions needed.

"Is it just that you're not talkative in general, or not around me?" I shrugged my shoulders, not disturbed by her.

"Have you found anything?" Her voice was in the background as I saw something that caught my attention.

An old article that read: "On a bright afternoon."

Xuan Lu kept on ranting while I didn't listen; I think her effort to try to talk to me was a nice try, but not what I needed right now as my eyes scanned the sentences.

An accident including a family of four; two adults, one kid of 5 and a baby of only a few months old.

The tragic accident happened on a bright morning around an abandoned farm; it's a question to everyone who knew the family as to why they were there.

Some neighbours claimed they were going to visit a family member, but the farm had looked spooky, and there had been no one living after deep research around the place for DNA.

The parents of the two kids were found dead in the car.

The baby had been held tightly by the woman, and luckily the baby was alive and crying.

The crying of the baby was what lured a couple to find the crashed car, the other boy was found unconscious, and 911 got quickly dialled.

No one could confirm what happened.

At first, the police suspected it was an accident, but after a deep look into the way the accident happened, it seemed unlikely as there got found DNA of a third party that did not belong to the family.

Sadly this famous case closed quickly, as there was no matching DNA in the database, and no one could confirm what happened with no further leads anymore.

Both kids got taken in by their families, and nothing had been ever heard about them again for their own safety.

Yet, after all these years, the same question remains: "what happened?"