11 : Butterflies

CHAPTER ELEVEN
━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

CHAPTER ELEVEN━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

Mae sighs relievingly when she closes the door of Gwen's old room that she has now occupied, her back against it

Mae sighs relievingly when she closes the door of Gwen's old room that she has now occupied, her back against it. Dinner at the Stacy's has not been pleasant ever since the incident at the bridge, and Harry's coma. Too much has changed this past week. From her realising yet again that she was practically useless in her family of heroes, to uncovering the truth about the Lizard and how behind the slimy skin resided the scientist who used to be her mentor-- things just seemed to be getting worse than it already was.

She grits her teeth annoyingly. It's hard enough to be under the same roof as an ignorant man like Captain Stacy, and him being one of her best friend's father doesn't help at all. For the past three evenings surrounding the dinner table, Mae has resisted her urge to punch him several times. His words of spite infected her like poison whenever they spewed out of his mouth-- his accuses at Spider-Man, calling him 'nothing but a vigilante who should be arrested for interfering into cases meant for the NYPD' and as though that wasn't enough, he had the audacity to badmouth Peter-- the Peter whose heart is nothing but good-- as he asked Gwen to stay away from the boy.

Gwen objected subtly, careful to not add fuel to the fire. In today's dinner, he had informed her and Mae that Peter had visited him earlier that afternoon, 'throwing accusations at Dr.Connors and saying he transformed himself into the Lizard.' Obviously, the girls didn't expect him to believe Peter, Mae even wondered what was going through the boy's head when he decided to casually fling this information on the captain of the New York police force.

Mae huffs. Still, she doesn't like it when he talks about Peter like he's inferior. Maybe she is being protective? She doesn't get it. Peter has been lingering in the back of her mind this entire week and in her peripheral vision, she realises that she has been thinking about him more often than not. She finds herself checking her phone for notifications from him every ten minutes, distress taking over her when he doesn't respond to her texts on time.

She groans as she lazily stumbles on the bed, her face sloshed into the pillow. Peter has been on Mae's mind excessively the past week, and the thought of him sends a strange feeling to her stomach-- a feeling that is foreign to her.