13 : Just Kids

CHAPTER THIRTEEN 

━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

The last week went by in a blur

Mae is seated in the police station next to Gwen, her hand on hers as the blonde weeps in silence.

It's challenging for Mae to keep in her tears as well.

The entire city, if not the whole world is still in shock at what occurred during the past week. The media is still in a frenzy about it, not letting the NYPD breathe. They don't even let them grieve for the loss of their captain.

Captain Stacy, the Chief of NYPD, her mom's friend and Gwen's dad is dead.

Gone.

And Gwen hasn't stopped crying since, Mae has made sure not to leave her best friend's side for more than ten minutes. She still sleeps over at Gwen's place even though her mother and Sarah are back home. Mae just can't handle the thought of leaving Gwen alone when she is grieving.

There is a difference between giving someone space to grieve over the loss of a loved one and just leaving them to cry alone. Mae knows this, unlike a certain someone.

Mae is still clueless about what's going on with Peter. She tried reaching out to him multiple times the past week, and not once did he answer. He didn't respond to any of his texts, and after four days of trying to get in touch, Mae gave up with a heavy heart.

Truth is, Captain Stacy died in front of Peter. She doesn't know what happened between them before he died, doesn't know if the captain knew who Spider-Man really was, but Mae knows that his death took a toll on Peter as well but unlike Gwen, Peter is suffering in silence.

That breaks her heart a little.

Mae feels responsible for that, in a way. Gwen has people she can grieve with, her family and her other friends. But in Peter's case, Mae is the only one who knows the truth about him, so really she should just drop everything and walk up to his door, knocking until he opens up.