[seventeen]

Kalira reached the port before the sun had completely set, the effects of the potion long gone, leaving her sore all over. She had harvested the vocal chords of the sirens, at least the ones she didn't damage, knowing they would use them to forge wolven steel swords at Kaer Morhen.

Hair sticking out of their braids with blood over her face and body, the sight of Kalira turned heads at the port. One hand pressed on her stomach, the other held something to show the Lord. She kicked the tavern door open and the chatter immediately died down.

"I'll take my coin now." She grunted and put the severed siren head on the table. Everyone looked at her with amazement, quickly paying her for the successful job. Kalira made a move to leave but the Lord stopped her.

"Drink with us Witcher." He said with a big smile, glad the waters were safe again. "On me."

"One." Kalira nodded, feeling the effects of her wounds. "Then show me the way to the stables."

"To the Shield Maiden of Death." The Lord shouted, everyone else shouting after him as he made a toast to her.

Kalira downed the beer in one go, slamming the mug back on the table. She was glad at least glad that he didn't call her the Butcher. With a nod, one of the soldiers led her to the stables and hesitantly left her alone with her horse. He wanted to say something about her injuries but the look on Kalira's face kept him quiet.

"Hey, girl." Kalira breathed out, resting her hand on Olive's muzzle. "I'm fine." She added when Olive neighed. "Just let me stitch myself up."

"Need a hand?" A voice asked from behind, making Kalira's eyes widen in shock as she thought her ears were playing games with her.

"Eskel?!" She turned around and realized it was in fact him. "It is you!"

"Hello, Kali." He greeted her with a grin, leaning against the stable door. "You look great as always."

"Thank you, I'm trying out a new style." Kalira joked, feeling almost lightheaded. "I call it bleeding out with sirens."

"I know." Eskel stated after letting out a hearty laugh. "Saw you leaving earlier."

"What?" Kalira asked with a frown, not knowing how she missed him at the tavern. "You could have joined me you wanker."

"Didn't want to split your coin." Eskel replied, lightly shrugging. "I had just finished a job myself."

"I would be fine by doing so if it meant not getting almost mauled by fucking sirens." Kalira winced when she moved her shoulder in a wrong way.

"Nasty bitches, aren't they?" He asked and she nodded. "Now, about that hand?"

"Yeah." Kalira breathed out, turning her back to him. "One of them got me in the back."

"This one's deep." Eskel stated when he saw how much blood was oozing out of it. "I need to stitch it up."

"Get the door?" Kalira asked and dug out her thread and needle from one of the satchels on Olive's saddle.

Taking her water as well, she sat on one of the crates as Eskel did what he was told. With a huff, she untied the front of her navy shirt and taking a deep breath, she pulled it off her head with a wince. Her breast band came off with her shirt and she realized the siren had cut her across almost all the way down her back.

"She got you good." Eskel commented as he got on his knees behind her, taking the necessary items from her. "It's gonna leave a big scar."

Kalira squeezed her eyes and bit her tongue when Eskel began to stitch. Realizing how tense she was and the fact that it was going to take a while, Eskel decided to distract her.

"How's grumpy?" He asked making her crane her neck and look at him with a frown. "Geralt, of course."

"Oh." Kalira chuckled at him. "Haven't seen him since Blaviken." Even the thought of him sent a small jolt across her body, making Kalira curse under her breath. "He was the same Geralt."

"You did more than just getting new nicknames there, haven't you?" Eskel caught how she had reacted and smirked at her. "Come on, talk to your best friend Eskel."

"There's nothing there, Eskel." Kalira mumbled and winced when the needle hit a sore spot. "We fucked. Again." She craned her neck and shot him a daring look. "Would you say there's something between us if you fuck me as well?"

"I mean, I wouldn't say no..." Eskel moved his eyebrows in a suggestive manner. "They say we don't feel anything but we both know it's different, old friend, even if you may not see it yet."

"I think you've been hanging out with Vesemir too much." Kalira shook her head with a small chuckle, looking ahead again with a reminiscent look. It had been a while since she last went there as her training memories still sometimes haunted her.

"You know I spend the winters there with that old wolf." Eskel replied with an amused tone. "His stories are still entertaining."

"Oh, it reminds me, I have siren vocal chords for him." She said, her eyes on the bloodied pouch. "If you're heading up there anytime soon-"

"I'll take them to him." He cut her off and Kalira felt him tying the ends of the stitch. "All done here."

"Thank you." Kalira sighed, feeling the stitches pull behind her. "I'll manage the one here."

"No, no. I'll do it." Eskel moved to her front. "My hands are bloodied either way."

Kalira simply nodded at him and tried to lean back the best she could, waiting for him to do it. When she realized he was staring at her, she rolled her eyes at him.

"Are you going to stitch it up or are you going to stare at my breasts till next winter?" Kalira asked, holding the edge of the crate to keep herself from falling back.

"They're just in my face..." Eskel stated, his eyes on her nipples which betrayed her by hardening under his face. Kalira would be lying if she didn't find Eskel attractive but it was just that. "Tempting me."

"You act like you haven't seen a topless woman before." Kalira shot back with a scoff and held one hand out to him. "Just give me the needle."

"Sorry, sorry." He shook his head with a charming smile and began working on the smaller cut on her stomach.

Kalira had flashes of the time she stitched Geralt up and her stomach turned, something stirring in her. She knew Eskel could pick it up but she was glad he didn't say anything about it. When he finished, she put a clean shirt over her head, careful not to pull any of the stitches.

"Hear me out, Kali." He spoke after she thanked him. "Stick together for a while."

"I will consider it, Eskel." Kalira replied, not wanting to delve into the topic. "Whenever our paths cross again... But for now I'm in desperate need of a bath and alcohol."

"Can I join you?" He asked with a smirk earning a slap on the shoulder from her and he raised his hands up in surrender as he chuckled. "For the drinking part, of course!"