Chapter 15

“Hermione, what’s UST?” Harry asked quietly as they sat together in the library working on the essay Sprout had set.

Hermione stared up at him. “UST? Um... in what context?”

“Ron said that me and Malfoy had some UST going on between us.”

Hermione continued to stare at him for a long, long moment, then she stuffed her hand in her mouth and, for about a minute, shook uncontrollably. Harry gazed, wide-eyed at her, alarm growing, until he suddenly realised that she was desperately trying to hold back hysterical laughter.

“Hermione?” he said, a little desperately, not sure what was causing this uncharacteristic outburst.

“Oh... oh, I’m sorry Harry. I didn’t expect that question from you – and you looked so like a little boy with that innocent expression on your face.” Hermione pulled a hanky from her pocket and wiped streaming eyes. “It means unresolved sexual tension.”

Harry blinked. “Sexual tension? Me? And... Malfoy?”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “Well, think about it. You following him around all sixth year, the way you two make any excuse possible to roll around on the floor together, the way you’re protecting him – and saving his life – and speaking up for him and his mum. Of course everyone’s going to notice.” She shrugged. “Even Ron and he’s dense as anything when it comes to noticing people’s feelings.”

“We’re usually trying to kill each other when we’re rolling around on the floor.” Harry defended his actions. “And saving his life – well – you’d do it, wouldn’t you? You couldn’t have let him die in that horrible way?” His mind went reluctantly back to Malfoy’s terrified screams in the room of hidden things. He shook his head, pushing the memory away.

“I know, I know, but still... you are a bit obsessed with him.”

“I hate the dick!” Harry burst out, earning a stony glare from Madam Pince. He lowered his voice back to a whisper. “I hate him. I’ve always hated him.”

“But you’ve been trying recently.” Hermione reached over and patted his hand. “I mean trying to be his friend.”

“Well, last night put a stop to that,” Harry spat, then lowered his head and tried to look as if he was getting on with his work as Madam Pince stood up and headed towards them. “He made it clear he wasn’t interested in any kind of friendship.”

“He did? What happened?”

“If you two will not be quiet, you’ll have to leave the library,” Madam Pince cut in.

“Sorry. Just... uh... discussing this essay,” Hermione said.

“Do it quietly.” Madam Pince stalked back to her desk.

Hermione watched her sit back down from under her fringe, then turned back to Harry. “What happened?”

Harry just shrugged. “The usual Malfoy charm – insults, name calling and curses.”

“He cursed you?” Hermione sat up straight, staring at him.

“Oh... uh... it was nothing.... just a... he put it right.”

“He cursed you then he put it right?” Hermione began to gather her books. “Come on. We need to talk about this properly.”

“It was nothing, and I need to get this essay done!” Harry snapped in as quiet a voice as he could. “C’mon, ‘Mione.... what are the restorative properties of  corpse flower?”

Hermione, distracted by knowledge, sat back down and once more, they began to work quietly. Harry put quill to parchment, relieved that Hermione could be so easily distracted.