Chapter 54

Harry struggled to his feet, his legs still numb from the rope binding. Grabbing the Elder wand from the dead hand of the man Draco had just killed, he tucked it away safely and limped over to Draco as quickly as he could. Draco collapsed sideways as he reached the Slytherin, and landed hard on his knees.

“About time you got here,” he whispered weakly.

Harry took his wand from Draco’s hand and severed the ropes with a word, catching Draco in his arms as he slumped.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “Draco... I’m so sorry. I didn’t know where you were... I even thought...”

Draco tried to laugh but his breath caught and instead he coughed. “Get me out of here. If I’m going to die I want to do it comfortably on a bed, not stark naked in a fucking spider’s lair.”

“You’re not going to die!” Harry said fiercely. “I won’t let you die!”

Draco opened his eyes and smiled up at Harry. “I’ll... hold you to that, Potter,” he breathed.

Then his eyes rolled into the back of his head and he went still.

“Draco! Draco!” Harry pulled the body of the Slytherin close, holding him tightly. “Draco. Don’t you dare die on me!” He kissed still lips, tears streaming down his face. “Draco... oh God... wake up. I love you! You can’t do this to me... please...”

“Mr. Potter, I suggest you stand away and let me take him to the infirmary,” came a voice from behind him. Harry whirled, almost dropping Draco in his alarm. Behind him stood Hexam. Harry raised his wand. “Don’t come any closer!” he growled.

“I mean you no harm.” Hexam held up his hands and Harry saw they were empty. “Please, Mr. Po... Harry. Let me check him over.”

“I think he’s...” Harry whispered brokenly, no longer caring if Hexam was on his side or not.

Hexam knelt beside Harry and rested a hand on his chest, then drew his wand and cast a spell that Harry had heard Madam Pomfrey use before.

“He’s alive,” Hexam said at last. “But he’s gravely hurt. He needs help urgently.”

“I’ll take him,” Harry said. He took off his cloak and wrapped it around Draco’s body, then gathered Draco in his arms. “I’m not leaving him.” He stood up, aware that the body he held wasn’t as heavy as he thought. Draco was all skin and bone and sharp angles.

“I’ll take care of this,” Hexam said, toeing the body of Harry’s short-lived nemesis. “Stand back.” He pointed his wand at the body.

“Wait. I want to know who it was.” Harry moved forward and pushed the body over with his foot, peering beneath the cowl. The face that stared, blank-eyed and dead made him start back. “Oh my fucking God!” he gasped. “It was Entwhistle Tubbs! I thought he was a squib.”

Hexam made a short sound of derision. “As good as,” he replied. “But the Elder wand is powerful enough to give even those with very little magic the same power as most wizards.”

“So... if I’d just turned round and decked him, I would have won?” Harry asked incredulously.

Hexam smiled. “Seems that way.” He cast a silent spell and the body went up in flames. “Here.” He handed Harry a small jewelled brooch.

“What’s this?”

“Portkey. It’ll take you right there. I’ll meet you later.”

Harry was wary of portkeys – with good reason. He glared suspiciously at Hexam. Immediately the auror held up his hands once more. “I swear to you, Harry. It is only a portkey and it will take you to the infirmary. Please – go. Narcissa will have my balls as earrings if anything permanent happens to Draco.”