Chapter 57

“How much of his memory did you take?” Harry hissed at Hexam, as the class practiced shield spells later that day.

Hexam looked startled by the sheer fury in his voice. He stared at Harry for a moment, then said, “see me after class, Mr. Potter.”

As soon as the rest of the class was dismissed, Harry sent Ron and Hermione on to lunch, then stormed up to Hexam’s desk where he sat reading over essays.

“Well?” he demanded. “Draco doesn’t remember anything – he doesn’t remember about Tubbs, which is good, but he doesn’t remember what he and I were beginning to have, which is bad!”

“Harry, the only memory I erased was Tubbs. I have him thinking he passed out just before he summoned your wand. I didn’t need to take anything more,” Hexam said calmly.

“He doesn’t remember!” Harry plonked himself down on a chair and wrung his hands. “I thought... I thought...”

Hexam got up and went over to Harry. He put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed gently. “I swear to you that I took nothing than that which I’ve already said. I’ll take an Unbreakable Vow on it if you wish me to.”

Harry stared at the Defence teacher, seeing nothing but honesty and concern in his eyes. He sighed and shook his head. “How come he’s forgotten then?”

Hexam sat down beside him and took his hands gently. “You have to understand, he was beaten, starved, abused, raped... all those things can do awful things to a mind. There’s a good chance he’s blocked it all out just to keep sane. You just have to be patient.”

“But he...”

“Be patient, Harry. Don’t force anything. Right now he needs a friend – be that friend as much as you can. Maybe later the rest will come back.”

Harry nodded, slumping in his chair. He knew Hexam was right – he had only been looking for someone to blame, knowing damn well that Draco was doing well to be thinking coherently after all he had been through – not just with Tubbs, but through the war.

“I just...” he said uselessly. “I love him.”

Hexam nodded. “I know. I understand. I, too, have loved someone for years and have been unable to say or do anything – but now my own patience has been rewarded – just wait, Harry. It’ll be all right in the end.”

“Are you dating Mrs Malfoy?” Harry asked slyly, a little grin coming to his face.

To his surprise, he saw a light blush come to the professor’s cheeks. “None of your business, Mr. Potter,” he rapped out, but there was a small grin on his lips.

“I hope you’ll be happy.” Harry got to his feet. “She deserves it.” He shook Hexam’s hand, feeling much better suddenly. “Thanks, Professor. I’ll see you later.”

**********

Nothing more came of Tubbs and the aurors. A few more days passed and eventually Hexam called Harry back to inform him that the evidence had been accepted and the case closed. Harry breathed a great sigh of relief. Finally he could relax.

He went to see Draco once more at the infirmary, but the Slytherin was short and uncommunicative – almost like his usual snarky self – not that he had ever stopped being snarky, even when his attitude to Harry had softened.

But Harry, with all the confusion, the mystery, and the happenings of that year so far, had forgotten that he and Malfoy had only ever reached a softening towards each other. Everything had been him – sure, Draco had kissed him once or twice. They had rolled around the bed together. They had even come to regard each other as friends – of a sort – Draco knew how Harry felt, but, he had rejected him almost completely. Harry remembered that time in the storeroom where Draco had denied that there was anything between them to Hermione.