Chapter 34

“I don’t care what McGonagall says, I don’t trust him,” Harry said stubbornly.

Hermione gave him one of her long, appraising looks, at last she nodded. “All right, Harry,” she said at last. “I’ll go with you on this one for once – you’ve been right before when everyone around you has denied all the evidence.” She cocked her head. “So what do you want to do?”

Harry prodded a sausage with his fork and stared at the glistening meat with a glum eye. “We know he’s after the book. Do you still have it?”

“Of course.”

“At Hogwarts?”

“Yes.”

“Then the first thing we need to do is put it somewhere safe.”

“Where?”

“Grimmauld Place. No one but us can get in there. No one can touch it. They can’t apparate there, or accio it or anything.” He took a bite of the sausage and chewed reflectively, thinking about that dark, dingy house. The atmosphere was a little better these days, since Kreacher divided his time between there and Hogwarts, but he still disliked the place entirely – too many bitter memories.

“That’s a good idea,” Hermione replied. “How do we get it there?”

“I’ll take it over next weekend. When we go to Hogsmeade – I’ll apparate there. It won’t take long.”

Hermione made a small noise in her throat and looked up. Turning, Harry saw Malfoy standing beside them. He nodded almost pleasantly. “You said I could sit with you, Potter.”

“That’s right.” Harry sidled over a little more, giving Malfoy room.

As Malfoy seated himself, Harry became aware of a strange hush that had come over the entire hall. He looked about quickly and saw almost all eyes on him and Malfoy. He rolled his own and turned back to the Slytherin, ignoring the looks.

“I’ve been thinking, Potter,” Malfoy said in a low voice as he helped himself to breakfast. “I’ve put a block on you and Granger, but you’ve still got a fly in the potion. The Weasel doesn’t have blocks on any... sensitive information.”

“He won’t go near us at the moment,” Hermione said, and Harry saw her lip tremble. “He’s really angry.”

Malfoy glanced over at Ron. Harry followed his look and saw, once more, Ron sitting beside Lavender Brown, talking quietly. As he watched, Ron’s eyes found his own. He gave a sneer worthy of a Malfoy and turned away, giving Harry his back. Harry sighed. “I don’t think he’s going to be trying to make up any time soon.”

Hermione let out a long sigh, blinking rapidly. Harry reached over and took her hand. “He’ll come round. I know he will. He loves you.”

She bit her lip and shook her head. “I’m not sure any more.”

“Come on,’Mione. Remember in the forest... he came back then. Remember what he said – that Dumbledore gave him the deluminator because he knew that Ron would always want to come back.”

“What are you talking about, Potter?” Malfoy asked, one brow raised quizzically.

“Never mind.” Harry poked at the yolk of his egg and stirred it around his plate, making a huge mess. “What do you need to do to block Ron?”

“I need about a minute with him and I need him to be looking into my eyes.”

“Maybe we should just stupefy him?” Harry suggested.

“It won’t work,” Malfoy and Hermione echoed each other.

“Why not?”

“I have no idea. I just know that anyone under any kind of body-bind spell can’t be blocked.” Malfoy motioned to Hermione. “I’m sure you know why.”