Chapter 51

"He's legitimate as far as I could find out," Hermione said later as they skulked in a disused classroom. "I snagged Mr. Weasley's cloak and found a hair on it, so polyjuiced into him."

Harry couldn't help smiling as he thought of the balding man he now regarded as his adopted father. "I suppose there weren't many of them."

She batted his arm. "Don't be rude." Harry saw her cheeks flush. "It's quite strange being a man."

"Oh yes?" Harry's grin widened. "And is there a reason why Molly's been so happy all these years?"

"What's wrong with you?" Hermione slapped his arm again.

"Sorry! Sorry.. just... worried. I always seem to make inane comments when I'm worried," Harry babbled. "Can't help myself. I just open my mouth and out it comes."

"Honestly - boys!" Hermione folded her arms and gave him the AK glare from hell. "You don't only make inane comments when you're worried, Harry - just so you know."

"Thanks!" Harry muttered, rubbing his arm. "Anyway... what happened?" He schooled his face straight and his thoughts on the matters at hand.

"I went into the auror's division as if I owned the office." Hermione smiled at the memory. "Went straight to the files and looked Hexam up." She withdrew a sheet of paper from inside her robe. "Ramon Hexam, been an auror for over twenty five years, now a valued member of the Special Overseas Auror Division. It says here that he has a year's leave to teach at Hogwarts. No mention of any other posting or call up."

"Narcissa Malfoy said much the same thing," Harry said thoughtfully. "She also told me that Hexam is Lucius Malfoy's half-brother."

Hermione blinked once, then gazed into a far away space over Harry's shoulder as she pondered. "Born the other side of the sheets, I imagine. Now you mention it, I can see the resemblance."

"I always thought so, ever since I first laid eyes on him," Harry confirmed. "Narcissa said he's one of her oldest friends... but..." He gnawed his lip, wondering if he should say what was going through his head at that moment.

"But what?"

"She said Malfoy wouldn't know him as he's not seen him since he was a baby, but... it's bloody obvious that Hexam and Lucius are related... and surely Narcissa must have mentioned her dear friend to Malfoy. Why hasn't he put two and two together?"

"Maybe he has," Hermione suggested. "And maybe the mind-bind prevents him from saying anything."

"Or maybe he's not mind-binded at all and this has all been one big set up."

"Oh, Harry..."

"No... really, Hermione... what if..." Harry started to object to her objections.

But instead of arguing it out as she usually would, presenting all the facts, lecturing him capably and finally bludgeoning him over the head with her superior knowledge, Hermione stood up, her lips pressed tightly together. "I'm not listening to this!" she declared and walked out of the room before Harry could attempt to stop her.

Hurriedly he gathered his bag and cloak and ran after her.

"'Mione! Wait!" He put on a burst of speed and finally caught her as she headed up the stairs towards the Headmistress's office.

"I've got nothing to say to you, Harry Potter!" Hermione turned on him so fast that he put his wand up in self-defence. "What does Draco have to do to prove to you that he's on your side?"

"I'm only..."

"Playing Devil's Advocate? Trying to convince yourself that he really is an evil Ex-Death Eater so you don't have to search for excuses to hate him? What, then?"