Chapter 58

Harry nervously straightened his robes, tightened his hold on the small bag holding the gifts, and then rang the gold bell-pull set in the imposing oak doors of the manor. The doors immediately opened, to reveal no one. Harry was unsure what to do, until a voice from around knee level alerted him to the smallest house elf he had ever seen, who had been waiting impatiently for him to speak.

“Mr. Harry Potter?” it squeaked.

“Uh... yes.”

“Come this way. The Mistress is expecting you.”

The elf led the way to the comfortable drawing room that Harry had entered the last time he had been at the manor. As he walked in, behind the elf, Narcissa Malfoy, looking beautiful in creamy robes, rose to her feet and came forward, smiling warmly. “Harry. Lovely to see you again. Thank you for coming.” She kissed his cheek. “Those robes look stunning on you.”

“They’re amazing, Mrs Malfoy. Thank you so much,” Harry gushed self-consciously. “They fit perfectly.”

“It’s Narcissa, please – and I was naughty and nagged Madam Malkin for your measurements,” she beamed. “And here is Ramon.” The door opened and in walked the Professor. “Ramon.” The kiss she gave him was rather more lingering, although still on the cheek.

“Good afternoon, Narcissa. Hello Harry.” Ramon looked very dashing in slim-fitting robes of peacock blue. Harry was very glad he had decided to wear his new robes, although he had a sneaking suspicion that Narcissa had sent them for precisely that reason.

“Please sit down. Tea will be served momentarily.” Narcissa sat gracefully. Hexam sat beside her on the love-seat.

“I have a gift for you, Mrs Mal... Narcissa,” Harry stammered. “I hope you like them.” He gave over the small box.

“Why, Harry, thank you so much.” Narcissa immediately opened the present and exclaimed at the opal drop earrings Harry had bought for her. “They’re beautiful. Thank you.”

Harry got yet another kiss, then Narcissa withdrew to put them on – saying it was vulgar to change earrings in company – leaving Harry and Hexam alone.

“Is Draco here?” Harry asked.

Hexam nodded. “He’s finally out of bed, although he’s keeping himself to himself. I don’t think I’ve seen him since he left school.”

Harry sighed softly, disappointed. “I brought him a present... and the wand,” he said.

“Actually, I think Narcissa has gone to bully him out of his room. The earrings are just a good excuse,” Hexam said with a grin.

Harry snorted. “Somehow I don’t think he’ll come.”

With a laugh, Hexam slapped Harry on the back. “Don’t worry, Harry. Narcissa may look soft and petite, but she has a will of iron when it comes to Draco.”

As he spoke, the door opened and Narcissa returned. Looking closely at her, Harry decided that Hexam was right. She was a little tight around the eyes, showing a momentary lapse of temper, but seeing them sitting there, she smiled.

“What do you think?” she asked, turning her head this way and that to show off the earrings.

“Lovely, Narcissa,” Hexam said, “but then you could wear nothing but sack-cloth and still look beautiful.”