Chapter 38

Eventually someone had to enter the dorm, and that person was Neville. He saw Harry first and after taking in the situation Harry was in, cast a finite on him, almost tripping over Malfoy in his eagerness to help. Harry leapt to his feet, forgetting, in his desperation to see to Malfoy, that his limbs would be stiff and unresponsive for a while. Clutching Neville for support, he went down on one knee and touched Malfoy’s chest to check if he was breathing.

“Get help!” he gasped. “Quick.”

Neville’s yelling had brought several other Gryffindors. Harry felt rather than saw Hermione kneeling beside him, her wand busy. “What happened?” she asked as she siphoned up the worst of Malfoy’s blood to see the damage beneath.

“It was Ron,” Harry whispered, appalled at the livid cuts and bruises that marred Malfoy’s alabaster skin. “He found us... and beat him. He froze him and then beat him...” He was so close to tears that his nose was prickling sharply. He held his breath, hoping that the tears would stay away and that The Chosen One would not disgrace himself in front of all his house-mates.

“Ron? It couldn’t have been!” Hermione’s voice was small and shocked. “You were mistaken.”

“I’m not!” Harry snapped. “I know what I saw.... oh my God, Hermione... there’s so much blood...” He cradled Malfoy’s head in his arms, staring at the bright crimson that stained his own fingers. “Get help. Please...” he whispered. Even his voice seemed unable to function properly.

Everything began to blur. He was closed in by people wanting to help, or wanting to see, and the air in the room didn’t seem as if it was enough for them all. Hermione seemed to understand how he felt because she stood up and firmly dismissed everyone.

“Madam Pomfrey is on her way,” she said quietly once they were alone. “Are you hurt, Harry?”

“No... just cramped. I’ll be fine.” Harry grew impatient and found his wand. “I’m taking him to the infirmary. We can’t wait. He’s been here long enough.”

“No, Harry. That could hurt him even more. He’s got a couple of broken bones.” Hermione lay a hand on his wrist and he looked down at it, anger suddenly coursing through his veins. “Okay,” he muttered, “so where’s Ron?”

And now his veins ran pure livid ice.

**********

Madam Pomfrey bustled into the room as Harry left it, his Marauder’s map in hand. He heard her shocked exclamations and Hermione attempting to explain what had happened – although she barely knew, herself. Immediately, he was surrounded by Gryffindors all wanting to know what had happened, yet, once they saw the look on his face, each boy or girl drew back, falling into silence. Harry paid them no heed. He was searching for Ron’s name on his map, hardly noticing when the Fat Lady made some clever comment or other behind him.

At last he spotted Ron’s name. He was alone in the astronomy tower. Harry drew his wand and sprinted up the stairs as fast as he could.

He burst through the door and immediately spotted Ron standing by the wall, gazing out at the forest. Before Ron could turn or react, Harry screamed out “ExpelliarmusIncarcerous!” and watched with great satisfaction as Ron’s wand flew out of his hand and over the wall, then thick ropes appeared like whips from thin air and wrapped themselves around him, binding him tightly.

“What the fuck!” yelled Ron, struggling wildly. “What are you doing?”

“I’ll ask the questions!” Harry pointed his wand at Ron.

Ron glared back hatefully at him. “Accio wand! Accio wand!” he yelled. “Give me back my wand you bastard!”

“Fuck your wand! Why the hell did you hit Malfoy? Why did you hurt him? What the hell is wrong with you?” Harry demanded. He prodded Ron’s neck hard with his wand. “Give me one really damn good reason why I shouldn’t crucio you right now, Ron Weasley!”