Chapter 43

“So what did you do with that book?” Ron asked casually as they sat together working on some last minute homework before going to Hogsmeade.

Harry looked up from his essay. “What book?”

“The one Hermione had.”

“Oh...” Harry flicked to another page of his text book and grimaced at the paragraph Hermione had made note of for him earlier. “I hid it where Hexam can’t ever get to it.”

Ron frowned, then brightened. “Grimmauld Place?”

Harry nodded absently. “He can’t get in there.”

“Good idea, mate. Did you put wards and stuff on it?”

“Nope. Just stuck it in a bookcase. Hiding in plain sight and all that.” He put quill to parchment and paraphrased from the book. “I’ve never heard of Silverleaf and we’ve never even used it before. Why am I writing about it?” he muttered.

“Silverleaf is an old name for sage, Potter,” came a drawling voice from behind him. “Didn’t you hear Slughorn telling us about it this week?”

Harry turned and looked at Malfoy. “No, my attention was elsewhere,” he replied pointedly. He was gratified to see Malfoy flush a little. “Are you going to Hogsmeade?”

“No.” Malfoy sighed and threw his quill down onto the table. “Don’t really feel like going alone.”

“Why don’t you come with us?” Harry offered impulsively, ignoring Ron’s alarmed expression.

Malfoy rolled his eyes. “I think I can find something better to do than hang around with you.”

Suddenly a thought inserted itself into Harry’s mind and he leaned forward. “I’m wondering if it’s a good idea for you to be alone,” he said softly, mindful of all the Gryffindors around them.

Malfoy pursed his lips and eyes Harry thoughtfully, then leaned even further forward so their noses were almost touching. “You think I might be in danger?” he murmured.

“I think it’s a good idea if none of us wander around alone. Hexam is after knowledge and...” he nodded his head towards Ron, “it looks as if he’ll stop at nothing to get it.”

Malfoy nodded slowly. “Why don’t you let the Weasel and his girlfriend go alone so they can do whatever it is Gryffindors do when they’re dating, and stay with me?”

Harry couldn’t help a little sideways smirk and raised his voice a little. “Why, Malfoy – that sounds like a proposition.”

Malfoy raised a mobile and flirting eyebrow. “It does, doesn’t it?”

“Merlin’s arse fluff – I can’t believe this!” Ron yelped. “Are you two fucking?”

Malfoy straightened up and gave Ron one of the most haughty, arrogant looks that Harry had ever seen. “I don’t see what business it is of yours, Weasel.”

“I don’t believe it. I don’t...” Ron leapt up, just as Hermione appeared from the girls dorm dressed in warm, outdoor clothes. “Come on, ‘Mione – we need to get out of here before these pervs start snogging.”

“”Pervs? What...?” Hermione looked back at Harry and Malfoy as Ron grabbed her arm and dragged her out of the common room.

Harry sniggered, then looked back at Malfoy. “Is he right?” he asked. “Or was that just an excuse to get him away from you?”

“An excuse, of course,” Malfoy said.

“But would you object if...”

“Don’t even go there,” Malfoy interrupted. “Just because I know how you feel, it doesn’t mean your feelings are reciprocated. I just think... well... it gives us an excuse to talk.”