PROLOGUE - PART I

THREE YEARS AGOTHE NIGHT OF THE DISAPPEARANCEDECEMBER, SATURDAY, 20:42

THREE YEARS AGO
THE NIGHT OF THE DISAPPEARANCE
DECEMBER, SATURDAY, 20:42

-ISLA POV-

THE NIGHT BEFORE, I had found out the truth. Or, more precisely, it had found its way to me. Like truths often do.

My head throbbed, making the drive even more painful. The heavy rain didn't help either, hitting the windshield in a quick and constant rhythm that matched my heartbeat.

The weekend should have gone in the opposite direction. With a still healing concussion and no parents around, I was supposed to have relaxed, gone Christmas shopping with my younger sister, had a last moment of fun before fixing a long list of old messes. But all my plans had been thrown out the window, flying away with the wind.

Not just the weekend plans. My entire life had lost its ground. Everything was crumbling, an unbearable weight pressing against my chest. I was losing everyone. I was even losing myself in more ways than I had ever considered possible. That last thought made me laugh this hoarse, broken laugh that ended in a sob.

And I hated them. I hated them so, so much that it tangled in my heart, spreading through my veins. It was all their fault.

But I also hated myself. It was my fault, too. My mistakes had ruined lives as well. Maybe that was all a sort of punishment.

Karma is known for being a fucking bitch, after all.

I was kind of known for the same from time to time. That morning, instead of hugging my sister as tight as possible, letting her lavender scent make the world seem innocent for a second longer, I had yelled at her.

"Maisie, not now! Go annoy someone else," I screamed, trying to hold back my tears. We shared a bedroom and I needed it to myself after spending the whole night wide awake overthinking the news I had uncovered.

A hammer was colliding against my skull, invisible hands squeezing my lungs tight. I was on the verge of a panic attack, and I really, really needed to be left alone.

"But you promised." Her voice, as delicate as porcelain, and as fragile as one too, had me frozen in place.

Only then, did I realize my legs had been moving from one side of the room to the other. I looked at her big, doe eyes, my throat closing. She always begged to tag along whenever I went out, and she was always eager to do something with me, whatever it may have been.

So, it was no surprise that my last-minute cancellation killed the sparkle that had kissed her blue irises a couple of days before when I did promise her we would have a girls day. I would have helped her choose gifts for our family, talked about boys over hot chocolate, and had my ass kicked in the ice rink by her figure skater skills.