THIRTY-THREE

TW: mention of pro ana forums. Take care of yourself babe

 Take care of yourself babe

-MAISIE-

THE FIRST TIME I wake up, I am confused. Somehow, I just know it isn't my bed. Mine is smaller and it faces the door leading to my bathroom, not a bookshelf pilled with Alasdair's high school rewards.

It takes me a minute to make sense of my surroundings. The heavy comforter on top of me. Kitty's purrs by my feet. My oldest brother radiating heat somewhere near my back. Looking over my shoulder, I faintly see him laying stomach up two inches away, the tips of his fingers reaching for me.

My head meets the pillow again, back facing Al. But I scoot closer, his touch bathing me in comfort.

The second time I wake up, I am already late. My brother let me sleep until past six and even though it is not technically late, it is to me.

I have less than thirty minutes to get ready if I want a few minutes to talk with Noah before the first bell rings. He still hasn't texted me back and I can't even begin to imagine the amount of crawling that will take me to get under his good graces again.

Despite my brothers' worried glances during breakfast, they give me space and do not comment on my hurried movements. I down two mugs of coffee, checking my phone every couple of seconds—my friends fill me in on what I missed yesterday, and my former coach checks on me like she weekly does, but no word from my boyfriend. With a messy bun and the first clothes I found in my closet, I leave the house pretty much having to drag Fin along.

"Finlay!" I hiss, watching as he takes his sweet time moving the car when the light turns green. "Hurry the fuck up!"

"What is wrong with you?" my brother scoffs.

"I just have to be at school early today, okay?"

And I check my phone again. Blank. No new notifications. I feel like screaming. Or crying. Probably both.

As I write Noah a bunch of new texts, begging him to meet me before first period, the sleeve of my puffer jacket is pushed up.

"What the hell?" I turn to my brother, taking my arm away from his hold.

"Let me see it," Finlay says, glancing at me as we stop at another traffic light. Fucking great.

"See what?" I question, my mind barely being able to keep up.

My brother rolls his eyes. "Your arm."