THIRTY-SEVEN

-MAISIE-

-MAISIE-

I PUSH THE trunk shut, finally done filling the car with things for the twins' birthday dinner. Releasing a long exhale, I manage a smile.

"Is that all?" Blake asks by my side.

He picked me up after my figure skating rehabilitation/practice today. I had already showered and gotten ready in the rink, but I still needed to buy my brothers' presents, grab the helium balloons I had ordered, and get to the restaurant in time.

"Yep." I nod. "Thanks for helping out."

Blake throws his arm around my shoulders, pulling me close. "Any time. You guys are family."

I hug him tightly before making my way to the passenger side. I check my hair and makeup in the visor mirror. My blonde locks are half pulled up, my cheeks a rosé blush. I have the gentlest siren eyes and the glossiest nude lips.

My hands smooth my mini skirt. It goes with a long-sleeved cropped top and leather boots, all black. Something flares inside of me. For the first time in so long, I feel pretty. I wish I could bottle this feeling and wear it like a perfume.

Blake straps up on the driver's seat. The engine hmms and he glances at me, waiting for me to put my seat belt on. I roll my eyes and do so. The car starts to move.

"How is Law school going?" I ask. "Harvard."

"It's..." His shoulders go up and down, the easy-going smile on his face turning firm.

My head tilts to the side. "Not everything you dreamed of?"

Blake sighs. For a moment, the only sound in the car comes from the radio.

"It is. It's even more than I had dreamed of," he eventually breathes out. "Maybe that is the problem. I didn't do much of the dreaming."

"What do you mean?" I frown.

"Nothing." His dirty-blonde hair shakes from side to side. "Don't worry, Little Lopez. Today is party day."

I turn more towards him. My hand finds his arm, squeezing it.

"You are family, remember?" I say. And I truly mean it.

He has been in my life for as long as I can remember. Playing fight with Logan in our living room since they were like ten and stealing Brody's attention whenever he came ice skating with us.

When they were in middle school, the twins and Blake spent a lot of their time in the basement playing video games. In high school, the place to hang out didn't change. But they also drank and smoked and threw parties down there. They never wanted me five feet close to them, but at least Blake was the least annoying about it.