THREE

-MAISIE-

-MAISIE-

THE COOL BITE in the air welcomes me as I approach the ice rink.

A mixture of sweat and ozone scent with a hint of diesel intoxicates me. I savor the familiar aroma, my muscles tickling to move. Jump, spin, slide.

But all I can do is observe. Watch Brody moving so smoothly as if he weighs nothing. Skidding through his teammates, piercing his path through the ice.

I wave at the coach as I take a seat. Being the little sister of the team's Center has its perks, one of them is being allowed to watch their practices and enjoy myself as the players get yelled at.

Ten minutes later or so, they slide out of the ice. My brother's blonde hair shines as he takes off his helmet, his forehead glistening. Brody's ocean eyes find me, an easy smile spreading on his lips.

"How did I do?" he mouths, his head pointing to the rink.

I smirk, mouthing back, "Terrible."

He chuckles. His opened hand signals that he will be ready in five. Then he runs towards the locker room as the chattering from the players echoes in the walls.

"Little Lopez." The taunting words come directly from behind me. 

I look over my shoulder, already knowing who I will find. "Blakey."

Blake playfully rolls his grey-ish eyes. He climbs over the bleacher, taking a seat by my side.

"New Look," he mentions approvingly, his arm thrown around my shoulders, his fingers twisting my hair.

Blake is like another brother, but more laid back and less annoying.

My mom knows his father from high school in NYC, and our families have lived in the same neighborhood for the past twenty years. Consequently, Blake has been the twins' best friend since always, the three of them sharing an apartment near the university today.

He used to play college hockey with Brody, but he chose to focus on his Harvard law studies instead. He sometimes shows up at practices to cheer on his old teammates or, what I suspect is the case today, to get a ride to his parents' when my brothers go back home for dinner.

Not that he doesn't have a car but he usually rides with my brothers, the three of them always going somewhere else after dinner.

Blake turns his body towards me, his eyes searching mine. "You good?" When I just shrug, he sighs. "What has Logan said this time?"