TWENTY

-MAISIE-

-MAISIE-

THE HEAT WELCOMES me as soon as I open the door of Ethan's car. It is not even six a.m, the sky still covered in shining dots and royal blue. The thinnest foggy floats in the air.

I have said goodbye to Al before getting out of the house. He and Maya were passed out on his bed, my brother barely acknowledging me as I stood in front of him. Probably a bit hungover after last night's dinner and a couple of glasses of scotch.

Ethan glances at me as I get comfortable in the passenger seat.

"I brought you a cappuccino," he offers, pointing at the two cups on the center console before dangling a plastics bag between his fingers. "And snacks."

I throw my purse by my feet, leaning against the cold window. My eyes close and my arms cross in front of me. "I don't drink animal milk," I mutter, not looking at him.

Ethan scoffs. "Petty as always."

I just roll my eyes. He starts the car.

The only sound comes from the radio, melodies from indie to hip hop dance in the air along with all the spoken and—mostly—unspoken words between the two of us. Since our argument Friday, we haven't traded a single syllable. I wasn't even sure he would show up today. But he did.

And even though I know I should appreciate him for it, I still feel like rubbing his face against the asphalt. Begging for sex. As if I had to beg anyone for it. Please.

"Stop at Starbucks, I want a pumpkin spice latte," I demand. Ethan sneers. I narrow my eyes at him. "What?"

"Let me guess... almond milk," he taunts. "No whipped cream. Only one pump of pumpkin sauce." He smirks at me. "You are so basic."

"I am not!" I gasp. "I take half a pump of sauce."

Ethan pouts, feigning sorrow. "OMG. That changes everything."

"If having Gigi Hadid as my inspiration is being basic. Then I am proud of it," I snarl, turning the volume of the radio up.

"Fine by me," he hisses, hands gripping the wheel tighter.

Ethan drives by Starbucks and I get my delicious coffee. Other than that, he focuses on driving and I focus on the endless papers inside my purse. Homework and student council documents. List of things I have to organize for homecoming and more homework.

My physics assignment is about circular movement. And one of the problems is about a pair of figure skaters. The male pulls his female partner around in a circle, the center of rotation being fixed. The question of the problem is, how much does the male skater have to weigh to be able to perform the movement at 3.8 radians per second?