TWENTY THREE

-MAISIE-

-MAISIE-

THE WINDOWS LET the evening breeze in. It has a biting end and carries the fragrances of earth.

My three best friends and I are in my kitchen, half baking half making a mess. The oven warms the place, the sweet scent of sugar swirls in the air.

We have to bring cupcakes and cake pops to school tomorrow for our powderpuff game against the senior girls. Purple is our class year color, and a violet shade taints the tips of my fingers after I have mixed the food coloring with the frosting.

Last night, after going to the beach, Noah and I made out in his car. I barely remember it, the act itself—only the lazy haze that made each of my boyfriend's lingering touches feel burning hot. It was like both our lips communicated in their own language and both our bodies were melting into the other, so damn slow and so fucking good.

I dreamt about him as I passed out on my bed, completely high still.

The memory opens a foxy smile on my mouth. But it soon dissipates into nothing when my phone buzzes on the countertop. I don't look at the notification. I don't want to. Ethan has been littering my phone with texts since late last night, all messages talking about Garcia and her. He wants to undig the past while I just want to let it rot, six feet away from me.

I dodged Ethan the entire day at the school. And whenever he came closer, I would use Noah as a shield—maybe also to show Ethan that I am better off without him, anyway. Scrubbing salt on the wound feels good.

As long as it isn't your wound, I mean.

Ashley makes a joke and my attention goes back to my friends. Our laughs settle in the air, our fuzzy socks sliding through the wooden floor.

The four of us are all different in a way. Angela is toughness and light drizzle with her tiny eyes and olive complexion. She has a mind of her own and has a heart the size of the world. Hailey is witty and sunny sky with her brown curls and defined cheekbones. She has Puerto Rican heritage and she isn't shy about being loud, the caring side of her always showing behind her hazel hues. Ashley is determination and rainbows with her red locks and freckles across the nose. She is a better Christian than most, choosing always to see the good in people and never letting anyone get in the way of what she wants.

Looking deeper, we are all similar too. Strong minded. Which has gotten us in a few heated arguments. We, however, all have a soft spot for each other. And we kiss and make up the same day.

Other than that, our crazy and a bit reckless minds connect us together. It has been like this since we all became friends in seventh grade when we got into our school. It places entry exams for seventh and ninth grades. I knew Angie and a couple of our other friends from our junior high. But our group only formed in our current school, consolidating in high school when a few more people showed up, like Noah.