ELEVEN

TW: eating disorder mindset
+anxiety
+ sexual content

TW: eating disorder mindset +anxiety+ sexual content

-MAISIE-

I SHUT THE door behind me.

Caged inside Ethan's bathroom, my loud breathing echoes in the tiles as a constant pump. In the need of a distraction from my thoughts, I drove us to his place, my fingers gripping the wheel for dear life.

Ethan's dad is spending the night at his girlfriend's. The house is an eerily quiet. My loud thoughts take over every corner of the place.

I splash water at my face, but I barely feel its coldness against my skin. The bracelets burn my wrist, and I throw one after the other on the floor. They tinkle and do nothing to ease my rising anxiety.

I kick the titles. Punch the marble sink. Let out a scream that scratches my throat like long nails.

Your father was murdered.

The FBI got involved.

Your family shut down the investigation.

White-collar crime.

What else are they hiding?

The words race in my mind. Competing to see which one will collide harder against my skull. They make sharp turns and screech. Repeating in a constant loop. And I can't get them out. I can't.

"Maisie." Ethan knocks on the door. "Is everything okay?"

I have to swallow down my sobs. He has asked me this same question at least a dozen times during the drive. Not once I have been able to respond him.

Of course it is not okay. Are you blind or just plain stupid? I want to snap. But I have no idea how to even speak.

All my energy has been stolen by the turmoil that has taken over me. It is like an electric current running through my entire body. From the head to the foot. And all the other way around.

I pace from one side to the other. My hands opening and closing by my sides. I try to count down from ten. I try to do breathing exercises. I try to fucking sing ABBA in my head. Nothing works.

And then I do the only thing that has ever truly helped me when I am slowly sinking to the bottom of a bottomless pit. I count calories.

Five strawberries and a plain yogurt for breakfast;

Your father was mur— a Greek salad for lunch;