The Rivers Flow

If you figure out the meaning of this poem, I'm sorry that it's dark. If you don't know, but want to know, then comment. But, be warned that it is rather dark.

The rivers flow gently until they start to run.

They follow a path all know, starting at an end

but few can comprehend the energy they both drain, leaving me               stuck.

Wading the waning water of the second

only to lose oneself and others around them.

Thick like honey or thin like broth, it changes like the weather does.

Swimming through thick, swift, heavy waves

leaves someone                 tired and               weak.

The first leaves me wanting and waiting for comfort and yet...            Left alone

Left wanting yellow and the warm sunshine on my face

Every smile was yours                   Whether from me to you or you to me

Holding hands and hugs              The promise to stay as long as possible

Every moment shared,

now only mine.                   and my heart stops and becomes heavy.

Feeling them fade from fingertips over time makes the rivers rush.

One eager to drag you in,               the other wanting to calm the rushing waters for you.

Too fast to swim              so one only waits for the proper time to wade in.

Watching others washing into the first river,             should I follow them?

That river, calm and gentle like you were

The reminder makes my eyes burn                makes the second river rise and creates rapids

I don't want to follow into the first if it pains my heart

Looking at the other river

It's vicious but still, deep and silent

Wading in will yield in a departure

From friends, from family, from a future, one could have.

but that's not what you would want, you want me in the first             So I'll look away from it.

Yet they're so similar, it's easy to fall into dangerous tides rather than the calm, slow current.

One like a warm bed offering release of pain, the other

like a misleading underwater cave.           Looks small and offers safety,

but can leave you without air.        Slowly eating away at you and your mind from the inside.

Back at the first river...

Perhaps wading will bring you back      in one way or another

Perhaps the pain in my heart will begin to be patched, like small cloth patches sewn on a stuffy.

The river calls to my broken heart,     alas...

Here I'll linger till I can find myself ready to face the water.

The river flows gently, calling to me as you would.         Smiling with time.

Perhaps I will sit and wait at the bank.                                   When I can stand and wade in...

Perhaps I will wade in and find you.