Breakfast of memories

Human AU of Sans AUs... I had no inspiration for this other than the need for angst. Lia- Leo (one of my AUs), Keith- Killer, Isabella- Female Ink, Gabriel- Leo's Grillby, Dawn- Leo's child
However, please note that this has nothing to do with My AU. I just wrote this cause it fit the prompt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You see, Dawn. This is how you flip the pancake. Take the spatula in one hand and flip!"

Soft laughter echoes in the quiet kitchen. A baby's coo can be heard soon after. The sizzle of raw batter hitting the heated pan draws the attention of Dawn away from the way that the soft morning light hits Lia's bright red hair. Lia heaves Dawn higher up her hip as she waits for the pancakes to cook. The morning light shining through the window above the sink behind them. She smiles softly at the baby on her hip before kissing Dawn's freckled cheeks. Dawn giggles before reaching to the small braided strands of Lia's fiery red hair, grasping it in her small hands and pulling. The umber brown and honey golden eyes stare at her mother's expression with joy and curiosity.

"Ow! Dawn, no pulling!" Lia chuckles softly as she returns her attention to the pan on the gas stove. She grabs the handle before turning back to the curious baby. "Now, we can put it on the plate. Okay, love?" Dawn looks over at the pan for a moment as Lia points to it before turning back to Lia.

Dawn gurgles and Lia slides the pancake onto the stack. She sighs as she walks over to the table and places Dawn into the baby seat at the end closest to her. Dawn hated being too far from her mother, keeping her eyes on the bright red blob that is her mother's hair in a loose bun. She watches with a chubby hand in her mouth as Lia moves around the kitchen. Her flowy maroon skirt dances around her legs as she moves gracefully around the wooden table and marble counters. Lia smiles at Dawn every time she looks over at her. Absent-mindedly, she places four plates on the table; one for her, one for Gabriel, one for Sirius, and one for Gilbert. She freezes when she notices, her honey eyes glazing over with memories as she stares at the plates. The memories of times she spent in a moment like this with her brothers, before they went to war. Her tears fall from her chin as she blinks back into the moment. Hearing the concerned babbles of Dawn, she shakes her head and puts two other plates away.

"Sorry, Pumpkin. I sometimes forget." She smiles sadly at Dawn before kissing her cheek, brushing some of Dawn's strawberry blonde hair back. Dawn tries to grab and hold onto Lia's hand, and Lia pulls away with a tired smile. "Now, how about we eat before Daddy or the others wake up and there aren't any pancakes left?"

Dawn claps with excitement as she bounces in her seat, gaining a small chuckle from Lia. Dawn loves eating, she's never been fickle with food choices and never gives Lia a hard time. Lia nods before placing two pancakes on her plate and sitting down in the wooden chair, a slight creak goes unnoticed as Lia focuses on her baby's needs. She cuts off a small chunk with her fork before turning to Dawn. She lifts the fork and watches with a gaze of melancholy and amusement as Dawn stays focused on the fork; or more importantly, the pancake on it.

"Here comes the snowfall," Her voice soft with memories of feeding her baby brother, Sirius, the same way. She smiles sadly as Dawn squeals loudly, surely heard throughout the house, before grabbing the pancake off the fork and eating it with her hands. Lia's head falls forward onto the wooden table with a soft snort. "Dawn, you're supposed to use a fork, not your hands."

She looks up at Dawn, who is too engrossed by the pancake to listen, before taking a bite of her pancake. She watches Dawn enjoy the pieces of the pancake before hearing a creak from the floorboards. She grabs the knife from the butter and stands up quickly. She turns around ready to fight if she has to, aiming the knife at the other person's chest. This is her house and her baby, she will not let anything happen to them again.