I Remember...

So this comes from an original story idea I had, that never happened. Also where the idea of rewrites for my Undertale Multiverse came from.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running. I have to save him. Keep him safe. They'll kill us both if they catch us. Please, God... Anyone, save Setchi. The scent of pine fills my nose, along with the scent of fear. I squeeze Setchi's hand tighter. I need to keep him safe from the humans, but I can't use my fire to attack. There's too much here that could burn, and that would weaken Setchi.

"Hurry! This way!" I pull Setchi towards a hidden path. "We can make it! Our friends are waiting for us in the Dark Kingdom; we just have to make it to a boat!" I look towards the split in the path. One takes us to the docks, but I can hear more hunters coming from that direction. Our only hope is the hill. I gulp before starting to run, still tightly holding onto Setchi. I won't let anything hurt him.

"Anshul! We can't make it to a boat!" I don't turn around. I don't want to see his expression. "They've blocked all the ways to the docks, and you can't touch the water!"

I turn my head to see Setchi. He looks so heartbroken. I know I'll die here, but that doesn't mean he has to as well. Magma tears burn my eyes as I keep running with him, and I try to give him a comforting smile. As long as he is safe, everything will be okay.

"Then you swim. Setchi, you have to leave me if you want to live." I don't dare turn to see his expression again. I hear his sharp gasp as he picks up his speed. I cut him off before he can argue, "Setchi, you'll be killed in the most dehumanized way. You know what they do to hybrids!" I glance back at the hill, we're almost to the top. The sound of gunshots and yelling reaches us, and I turn around to see hunters at the split in the trail.

"I don't care, Anshul! I'm not human, and I'm not leaving you behind!" I grit my teeth. I love Setchi, so much. I can't lose him. Please, he needs to just swim away when we get to the top. Setchi grips my hand tightly, "Anshul! We promised not to finish this life without each other!" He doesn't need to say it, but the fear is still there. The fear that this is our last reincarnation without the other. "We are going to make it to the Dark Kingdom, get married, and explore the Mainland for the rest of our lives!" His inky tears fall from his cerulean eyes. I don't want him to die, I don't want to either... But it's him or me.

And I chose him over me.

"You don't understand, Setchi! I'm dying, one way or another, but you have a chance to live. You'll find me in the next life, okay?" Lies. "I promise!" I can't promise this. "If I jump, I'll harden into obsidian and drown. If I get caught, they'll douse me. You have to live, for both of us."

I stop running to take off Setchi's cloak. Quickly stripping him of anything that would make swimming harder, he'll need all the strength he has left to swim the twenty-five miles to the island of the Dark Kingdom. I quickly kiss his forehead before scooping him up and sprinting up the rest of the hill. Once we make it up there, I set Setchi down before looking at the cliff. It's not too far where it would kill him, but I know that it's still deep. I turn to see Setchi writing one last entry in the journal. The hunters are drawing closer. All because hybrids and other races can't love each other. It disgusts me, the laws of the Human Kingdom. As well as the journal, so many maps. So many ways humans can hurt the other Kingdoms. I take a breath as a plan forms in my head.

"Okay," Setchi's head snaps up to me, "you said we won't finish this life without getting married, right?" He nods and I pull two simple wedding bands out of my pocket. I bought them from the jewelry vendor back in town. "Then let's make this quick. Do you take me to be your husband for the rest of this life?" A nod, "I do too." I give him my ring before sliding on his. He slides on mine and I give him a quick kiss. "I won't let go if that's what you wish. So let's jump together, okay?" He nods. I cup his face for the last time with a sad smile. I hope this isn't my last life with him. He leans into the touch.