He's More Human Than Thought

This is based on my dog's death. I was really sad at the time and ended up making my class cry. Which made me feel bad, but now you get to cry. (If you want)

Twelve years was all we got.       From start to end.

It felt so short, yet so long at the same time.       My baby boy.

3 years I don't remember, but all I know is that you weren't there in them.

At the start, you were so lively and spunky.         Time smoothed it down to a gentle gruffness.

Yet, time often brought back the puppy I grew up with.          My pup.

Brown, white, black.     Your coat was beautiful.

It was soft and fluffed out like a lion's mane.         I held on to it tightly, I didn't want to let go.

The small white diamond on your forehead, you never minded if I brushed my thumb over it.

You didn't seem to notice the number of kisses I left there.

Your soft black folded ear. It had a white tip.     You loved it when I would scratch behind it.

Your adorable, big, brown eyes.     Gentle and full of life.         Grew to be unseeing.

They were the last thing I got to look at before you fell asleep.    You stared right into my eyes.

Your paws were so rough from the hikes and walks we used to go on.

You moved your front leg onto my arm before they took you away,      I didn't want you to let go.

You were my puppy.    My baby boy.

You've been in my life and made it better.     Treasured moments I'll keep.

Most tend to remember their pets only to forget as time goes on.

I'll keep you alive in my heart. I'll miss you and the great moments we had.

Franklin, you were the first pet I've ever had.         You were there when family members died.

When others wanted to mourn the still living, you were there to comfort both...

Living and the dying.       You knew, and you were quiet as you stayed with Dado.

You may have been a dog, but you were more human than most saw.                To me, at least.

Rest well now pup-pup.     We'll keep you close to us.

I'll miss you.