07 | The Attack

It's been a couple weeks since Esmerelda had been made a med-jack. Alby was glad to see the she was working hard and really well.

Today she had the day off. Minho was out running, Newt was busy as second in command, and Frypan was nowhere to be seen.

She decided she would hang out with Chuck. She hadn't seen him in a while, and she missed the little guy.

Seeing as he was facing the opposite direction as her, she decided to scare him, "What! Are you doing!"

"Ah Shuck!" He fell without a warning.

Esmerelda started laughing, very amused about the situation, Chuck on the other hand was annoyed she had scared him. Though he couldn't help but smile slightly.

"Aw come on Chuck! You know you want to laugh, You should have seen your face!" Esme chuckled lightly.

And so he did, Chuck burst out laughing. Which made Esme laugh harder as well, getting looks from all the other gladers.

After calming down slightly, she explained how she had a day off and wanted to hang out with him. Chuck was ecstatic to hear Esme wanted to willingly hang out with him.

Esme noticed Chuck's thoughtful expression. "Let's play a prank!" He exclaimed.

Esme was a bit wary, but she decided that if it made Chuck happy than she would help. The two of them headed towards the kitchens, noticing it was empty.

They decided it would be funny to spill some oil onto the floor, making whoever, slip and fall.

After preparing their oil spill they waited. Not long after they saw someone walking towards the kitchens. After waiting a couple minutes the boy had slipped and fell onto the ground.

Esme and Chuck burst out laughing giving each other high fives, not realizing who the figure on the ground was.

"WHO THE SHUCK DID THAT!" The boy burst out, Chuck and Esme froze.

Gally.

He groaned trying to get up, slipping a few times from the oil. Esme and Chuck snickered. "Whoever did that will be put into the pit for a week!"

Esmerelda's expression fell slightly, she, of course knew what the pit was. She didn't want Chuck to be put into it for trying to have some fun.

She noticed Gally looking towards Chuck's direction. "You! You slinthead! I swear try that again an-" Gally was cut off seeing another figure come out from behind the wall.

Esmerelda walked out behind from the wall. She wasn't going to let Gally talk to Chuck like that, the kid was just trying to have fun.

"It was my fault. I'm sorry Gally." Esme sighed, "Actually not really, holy shit! That was hilarious!" Gally was furious, embarrassed and surprised. He didn't expect Esme to be apart of a prank.

Seeing Gally's expression she cleared her throat. "Oh uh right. Sorry.."

"Really Esmerelda!" He exclaimed, though had the smallest smile you could hardly notice. Chuck stood in fear, wondering what was going to happen.

"Yes, just please don't put Chuck in the pit. He was bored and I came up with the idea." She pleaded, hoping he didn't do anything to Chuck.

Chuck smiled widely, mentally thanking Esme.

Gally sighed, "You know what. Fine. Esme, 2 days in the pit. Chuck.." Gally was contemplating on what to do. He didn't want to look soft in front of Chuck, but he didn't want to hurt Esme. His walls started climbing down once he met her. "You're free to go. If you try that again I'll put you into the pit. Good that?"

Chuck gleamed happily, wasting no time running out of the kitchens. 

Gally turned looking at a smiling Esmerelda. "Do not tell anyone about this alright." He snapped, not before gently smiling seeing her happy face.

She nodded walking back to where Chuck was sitting. Gally watching her walk away with a small smile.

He cleared his throat looking at the mess, "Ah shuck. Frypan will clean it up." Walking back to the rest of the builders.

"Holy shuck Esme!" Chuck exclaimed.

Esme scrunched her eyebrows in confusion, "What?"

Chuck explained to Esme how Gally had never been soft to any of the other gladers. Well not after one of his close friends in the Glade had gotten stung.

Ignoring the first part of the conversation, "Stung?" Esme asked quietly.

"Runners get stung by these giant mechanic like creatures. Think they're called grievers, don't worry, they're only inside the maze." Esme was overwhelmed by Chuck's confession.

"Be glad you've never seen anyone been stung, it's terrifying." They both decided to end the conversation at that. Not wanting to talk about it anymore.

•••
Later that night Esme and Chuck had started to hear yelling. Walking around, they tried to find the source of the sound. Seeing other gladers crowd around two people. She realized they were runners, Minho and another runner, Carter.

"Minho, what happened to him" Alby demanded.

Minho was panting slightly, "We need the med-jacks. He's been stung."

Just her luck. Esme didn't think she would be seeing anyone stung anytime soon.

Although it was her day off she decided she would help. For future purposes she needed to learn how to deal with someone who's been stung.

The three med-jacks placed Carter onto the bed. He was going crazy, screaming and yelling inaudible things.

Alby had told Esme that she should go rest, as today was her day off. She reluctantly agreed and headed off to her room. All through the night Esme had trouble sleeping.

Hearing Carter's shrilling screams made her anxious. Chuck was right, it was terrifying.

•••
The next morning Esme woke up very tired. Not getting my sleep last night made her agitated, but she held it together.

Walking over towards the med-jack hut, stopping when she saw the solemn faces of Newt, Alby, Clint and, Jeff.

"What's wrong?" She asked warily.

"Carter he.." Newt started, "He went mad, Jonah was the last watching him and, Carter attacked him."

Esmerelda froze. Was jonah okay?

"Jonah quit the med-jacks. He was scared out of his mind. We're having a meeting later about what happened." Alby solemnly stated.

Esme nodded her head not knowing what to say. What was going to happen to Carter. He attacked another glader, but he had been stung.

Clint, Jeff, and Esme kept working through the day, on Alby's behalf, still upset about Jonah.