13 | Gone

It's been about 5 months since Esme has been living in the glade.

The past Greenies had been boys, she was upset but of course she wasn't surprised. She had hoped there would at least be one other girl.

Although she still kept her happy demeanour. She had been doing a great job at being keeper of the med-jacks. Everyone was happy the creators sent up Esmerelda. She was always so cheerful, she always found the light in the darkest things.

She gave everyone hope. It's what they really needed.

She had gotten a lot more closer to Gally. No one was surprised, everyone could tell they both liked each other by the way they looked at each other.

Today was a normal day for everyone in the glade. Minho was in the maze with the runners. Newt was gardening, Chuck was hanging with Esmerelda in the hut, Gally was building.

Alby had been giving the new Greenie the tour. They had found out his name was, Elliot. He was a blonde haired boy, with hazel eyes.

Everything had been going well. Or so they thought.

All the Gladers had started to crowd around the walls of the maze. There was one runner left who had not made it back yet.

They had been anxiously waiting for him.

Suddenly they saw a figure, it was Ben. Everyone had started yelling for him to run. He was almost there, but he froze.

Like he had given up.

Esmerelda couldn't accept that, so she did the stupidest thing a Glader had ever done.

She ran into the maze.

Pushing Ben towards the glade, the brunette let out a breath of relief knowing he had made it. Though, Esme knew that she didn't have time to run back out.

She was stuck.

The last thing she saw were the heartbroken faces of her family. Chuck. Minho. Newt. Alby. Frypan. Gally.

Gally.

The last thing she heard was the shrilling screams of her friends, more so Gally. It made her heart ache. She knew what she did was stupid, but that's how she was.

She would protect her friends, her family, any day.

Esmerelda knew what was going to happen to her. No one had ever been able to survive the maze at night. Hell, she's never even been into the maze.

She knew it was the end of her.

•••
It was like time had froze. The boys had all stood speechless and in fear. The only thing they had heard were the cries and pleas of Gally, the hysterical crying of Chuck, the sniffles from Minho and Newt.

They all had tears streaming down there faces. Their hope was now gone.

Gally stood up, suddenly seeing red, he turned towards Ben. The runner who was stuck in the maze. The runner Esmerelda had saved. His Esme.

Instantly Gally had pounced onto Ben. Punching him as hard as he could. Shouting comments at him.

"IT'S YOU'RE FAULT!"

Everyone had been trying to separate them from each other. Ben had been taking the punches. He felt as if it was his fault. He deserved it.

"ENOUGH!" Alby shouted.

In the end, Ben was bleeding. He had cuts and bruises all over his face and body.

They all stood wide-eyed. What would happen now?