09 | Night Talks

That night Esme couldn't stop thinking about everything. She hadn't had time to ask Alby what a banishment was. The brunette decided to go walk around the deadheads to clear her head.

The deadheads was a part of the glade. It was a small forest area. It was like a graveyard for those who had passed.

Walking around the forest area she noticed a small field full of beautiful flowers. Esme walked, nearing the flowers. She sat on the grass thinking about the past few weeks.

Her memories. How was she so calm about it? She was shocked she managed living in the Glade. Esme was the only girl, living with boys. She was glad that Alby and Newt and had strict rules about doing anything inappropriate, without consent.

She also thought about the maze. Newt explained to her how the maze was the only way out.

What would happen if they escaped? Would they even be able to escape?

Her thoughts were soon interrupted when she heard a twig snap behind her. She jumped turning around to see who was there.

Much to her surprise it was Gally. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He spoke gently

"It's alright. What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing." He replied, raising an eyebrow.

"Right.. I was just thinking. You know about everything."

"Well, in my opinion you're taking things very well."

Esme laughed, "So i've heard, some boys cried their first day right?"

He nodded. "Have the other shanks told you yet?"

"Yeah. You're looking at the newest keeper of the med-jacks"

"Congratulations Esme. I know you'll be great at it." He smiled, walking towards her.

"That's the thing. I don't what I'm doing. I mean I just became a med-jack not long ago, and suddenly I'm a keeper."

"You don't want to be a keeper?" He asked astonished.

"It's not that I don't want to. Hell I think it's awesome. But,"

"But you're worried you won't do great."

"I'm worried i'll disappoint everyone. I mean, what if I do something wrong. Maybe Alby and Newt made a mistake choosing me, I-"

"Hey.." He cut her off, taking a seat next to her. "Not everyone will be great at first." He paused, debating his next words. "Don't tell anyone this but I was a terrible keeper at first."

She laughed, "Really, how bad?"

"Oh please, very bad. I had trouble keeping everyone together. Nevertheless, we worked together, and I got better. You have Clint and Jeff to help you, you know that"

"Yeah, I guess you're right. Thank you Gally. Really" She smiled. "I guess you're not as bad as you seem. You're a great friend."

His smile faltered, however he composed, "You guess?" He mocked in offence, the two of them laughed. "Thanks Es. You're a great friend too." Putting a hand on her shoulder.

Esme grinned, he had finally called her by a nickname. It was different, but it was nice. Before she could forget she had asked the one question she had been dreading, clearing her throat, "What's a banishment?"

Gally's smile fell completely. "We have rules, Es. Whoever breaks those rules has a punishment. It's either into the pit or banishment."

He continued, "Those who are banished are forced into the maze, with no way back in. You only get banished if it's severe, Carter broke one of our important rules. I'm sorry."

Esme nodded, there was nothing she could do, she knew that.

Gally hadn't meant to bring down her mood, he felt bad. "Listen, It's getting quite late, we should head to sleep. And you start as a keeper tomorrow."

"Yeah, goodnight Gally."

"Night Es."

They parted ways towards their rooms and fell asleep, both having small smiles.