22 | Escaping the Maze

Thomas had finally woken up, looking above he noticed Teresa hovering over him. Taking in his surroundings, he realized he was in the pit. Outside of the pit sat Chuck, Frypan, Minho, and Newt.

"Hey, you're okay." Teresa soothed.

"What the hell were you thinking." Chuck exclaimed, he didn't want to lose another friend. Not again.

Thomas looked a little guilty. "What happened?"

"Gally has taken control. He said we had a choice. Either join him, or get banished at sundown with you." Frypan explained.

"What? The others agreed to that?"

Teresa sighed, "Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened."

"Well he's not wrong" Thomas noticed everyone's baffled expressions and started to explain.

Thomas told them how the maze wasn't a prison, it was a test. They started young, and had been experimented on. Soon enough kids started disappearing. Month after Month.

Thomas had announced how he worked for them, as well as Teresa. Of course she was in denial. They had watched them, their friends become test subjects. They both felt guilty and shocked.

Newt shook his head. Even if Thomas worked for them, it was in the past. He had helped them at this moment, he found a way out of the maze. They didn't go through everything for Thomas to give up. Alby wouldn't have wanted that.

Newt made sure Thomas would help them escape. To finally get out of the maze. First, they needed to get through Gally. So, they came up with a plan.

•••
A Glader had been dragging Teresa towards the front of the doors. Stopping in front of a long wooden pole, with an unconscious Thomas as well. Dropping him to the ground

"Gally, this.. this doesn't feel right man." Winston spoke.

"Yeah. I mean, maybe Thomas is right. He could lead us home." Jeff agreed.

Gally disagreed. "We are home. Okay? I don't wanna have to cross any more names off that wall." He looked towards the stone wall, one name catching his eyes.

Esmerelda.

Teresa took notice of that.

She's heard the Gladers talk about an Esme, but she never knew how important Esme was to Gally.

Turning to look at Gally, she scoffed, "You think banishing us is gonna solve anything?"

He shook his head, "No, But this isn't a banishing. It's an offering."

Swiftly, the big Glader had started to wrap Teresa's hands to the pole. "Gally, wait, what are you doing?"

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the maze after what he has done? Look around you! Look at our Glade!" He shouted, not noticing Chuck walking far behind with supplies and bags in his hands and on his back.

He proceeded, "This is the only way. And when the Grievers get what they came here for, everything goes back to the way it was."

Teresa kept trying to protest. "Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy!"

"You. Shut up!"

"If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back. They're gonna come back, and they're gonna keep coming back, until you're all dead!"

"Shut up! Tie him up!" The two Gladers only stood there. "Do you hear me? I said tie him up!"

They were about to tie Thomas up when suddenly, Thomas had elbowed one of them, while taking his spear.