19 | A Way Out

Back at the Glade. The girl who's name they found out, Teresa, was finally conscious. The boys had a bit of a mishap, but Thomas managed to calm her down.

She had came down and mentioned the two objects in her hand. They were syringes with unfamiliar liquid inside.

Thomas had figured this could be a serum for the sting. Newt was a bit wary of it, he didn't want Alby to die. Reluctantly he agreed.

So there they were right now. Thomas, Newt, Teresa, Clint, and Jeff. Standing in the med hut, with a stung Alby. Thomas slowly approached him, he was about to inject the serum into Alby. When all of a sudden Alby had grabbed onto Thomas.

"You shouldn't be here! You shouldn't be here!" He yelled.

They all had tried to pry him off Thomas, Teresa then grabbed the syringe plunging it into him. Alby had then calmed down, letting go of Thomas.

"Alright.. someone has to stay here. Watch him around the clock." Newt spoke, breathing heavily.

They all turned hearing a voice. It was Gally, "Hey, sundown, Greenie. Time to go."

Slowly, Thomas walked with Gally towards the pit. "What's your problem with me, Gally?"

He scoffed, "Everything started going wrong the minute you showed up. First Ben, then Alby. Now the girl. Everybody saw she recognized you. And I'm betting you know who she is."

"She wasn't the first girl to be here, right, Esme was it? So why is it a problem with Teresa?"

"Don't bring her up! She's dead! She didn't cause any problems!" Gally shouted at Thomas, getting into his face.

"Right I'm sorry, but Gally, you know we can't stay here forever, right?" Thomas sighed, entering the pit.

Gally only ignored him and locked the pit door.

•••
The sun was long gone, Thomas was sitting against the wall very bored. After a short time Thomas had heard a noise outside the pit. "Who's there?"

Chuck came into view, "Don't worry, It's just me."

Thomas relaxed. "Sorry, Chuck."

"Here, You run better on a full stomach." Chuck handed him a plate of food.

Thomas quickly ate it, thanking Chuck. He noticed a wooden figure in Chucks hand. "Hey, that's cool. Did you make it?"

Chuck nodded.

"What's it for?"

He hesitated before answering, "It was for Esmerelda.."

Thomas sat up straighter in the pit, hearing that name before but never got an explanation to who she was. "Who.. who is Esmerelda?"

"Esmerelda, we called her Esme, was the first girl in the glade. She was really funny and nice, but she was tough. I remember the first time she came up from the box. She held up a wooden plank attacking Gally." He chuckled at the memory.

He continued, tears prickling at his eyes, choking on some of his words, "She gave everyone hope. She saw the light in people, she never gave up. Esme was loyal, maybe too loyal. Risked her life to save a runner, Ben."

Thomas was speechless. She had risked her life for Ben? She ran into the maze? Just like him.

"Of course, Ben made it out, unfortunately Esme hadn't had time. She got stuck, I had hope she survived, but you know what they say, no one ever makes it out alive. Well until you did."

He paused, "I still think she's out there, never gave up. I'm surprised Gally had given up hope on her."

Thomas did a double take. "Gally? What does Gally have to do with her?"

"Right, Gally liked her, cared for her. I mean we all did, but, Gally was different. Shuck, he might've loved her but.. he never got to say it. Neither of them did."

It was quiet for a moment, until Chuck sighed before giving the wooden figure to Thomas.

"Chuck, what do you think you're doing?"

"I-I'm not gonna lie, I don't think i'm gonna make it out of here. Hey, if you do please, please at least try to find her. I know she's alive, and please give that to her"

Thomas looked at the figure before taking Chucks hand. "Listen, Minho and I, we'll find a way out. You're gonna find her and you're gonna give it to her yourself. Alright."

Chuck smiled and nodded. "Goodnight Thomas."

"Night Chuck."

•••
Minho and Thomas were up bright and early. They had been following the beeps of the mechanic object they found the other day.

The object stopped beeping, making the two of them stop as well. they looked up and found a passageway. Before they could check it out, the maze started changing.

Minho and Thomas ran as fast as they could. Almost getting cut by the blades.

In the end they made it out alive, making their way through the maze. They started to walk to the front of the doors, towards the Glade.

Minho and Thomas explained to the Gladers how they may have found an exit. Albeit it may have been where the grievers lived, they knew it was there escape.

"Wait, you want us to go into the grievers home?" Chuck asked astonished.

"Yeah, or there could be a dozen Grievers on the other side. The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he has done, as usual." Gally snapped.

"Well Gally, at least I did something. Alright what have you done? Besides hiding behind these walls the whole damn time!" Thomas retorted.

"Let me tell you something, Greenie. You've been here 3 days, all right? I've been here 3 years!"

Thomas walked straight at Gally, screaming at his face, "Yeah, you've been here 3 years and you're still here, Gally! What does that tell you? Maybe you should start doing things a little differently."

"Oh yeah maybe you should just be in charge, huh."

"Hey! It's Alby. He's awake." They whirled around to look at Teresa.