14 | Too Curious for his own Good

It's been one month since Esmerelda had gone into the maze. One month since she was never found. One
month since she was pronounced dead.

Clint had become keeper of the med-jacks. He was excited, but it didn't feel right.

No one in the Glade had ever been the same since. Alby was more stern and strict.

Chuck had trouble sleeping at night. Newts smile had started to fade. Minhos sarcastic comments came off as rude. Frypans cheerful demeanour had faded. And Gally.

Gally had became more rude. He was more harsh than usual. He hadn't smiled ever since. Everything had changed.

•••
Today a new Greenie would be arriving.

They all suddenly heard the Greenie alarm, notifying there would be a new Greenie.

The box had arrived, opening to reveal a dark brown haired boy. Gally then jumped into the box, "Day one Greenie. Rise and shine."

Throwing the Newbie up and onto the ground, the Greenie took a look at his surroundings. As usual everyone had been making comments about his job.

Although this time, a certain brunette wasn't there to scold them for their manners.

Abruptly the Greenie had made a dash towards the maze, he almost made it. Key word 'almost'. The boy then face planted onto the ground. All the boys had laughed and cheered him on.

Some of the runners had gone after him, bringing him into the pit.

The Greenie was trying to take another look around him, when suddenly there was a figure in front of him. "Hey there Green Bean. You're not gonna run again. Okay?"Alby told him calmly.

The Greenie didn't answer only looking at him a bit wary.

"Can you tell me anything about yourself? Your name? Where you came from? Anything?" Alby asked, hoping he had anything.

"No" He replied, startled by everything.

"Not even your name?"

"No I uh, I can't remember anything. Why can't I remember anything?"

"Hey, relax. It's normal, alright, it happens to all of us. Your name'll come back in a day or two. It's the one thing they let us keep." Alby soothed, hoping he would calm down.

"What is this place?"

"Come on let me show you." He stuck out a hand for him to take, slowly and unsurely, the Greenie took his hand getting out of the pit.

Alby lead the Greenie around the Glade. He had explained to the Greenie how they lived there now.

"We eat here. We sleep here. We grow our own food.
We build our own shelter. Whatever we need, the Box provides. The rest is up to us"

"The box?" Grean Bean asked in confusion, looking towards it.

"That's right. It's sent up once a month with fresh supplies and a new Greenie. This month that's you. Congratulations."

"Sent up by who? Who put us here?"

Shaking his head, "That, we don't know, but we do call them the creators."

Newt had started walking towards the two of them, with a small smile. "Hey, you alright Alby?"

Alby hummed, "Green Bean, meet Newt. When I'm not around, he's in charge."

"Well, it's a good thing you're always around then. That was some dash you made earlier. For a second, I thought you had the chops to be a runner... till you face-planted. That was great." Newt and Alby laughed.