01 | Father Figure

It's been a whole week of living in the Right Arm camp. Esmerelda looked a lot different than before. Her short hair was now up to her shoulders, and her cheekbones were a little more defined.

Currently, she was sitting on the mountain rocks with Sonya. The blonde girl hadn't changed as much as before, besides the fact her hair had grown.

The relationship between the two, was very complicated. Esme liked Sonya, but there was no way she could get over Gally. There was still hope he was out there, with the other Gladers. Esme didn't want to lead Sonya on.

They were each other's rebound. They tried to deny it, but it was true. Ever since the three girls had left Aris, Sonya needed someone, and Esme was there. The female brunette wasn't dull, she saw the way Sonya looked at Aris. It was the same way she looked at Gally.

She knew she needed to talk to Sonya sooner than later. Esme was about to speak up, when suddenly Sonya had stated she was going to find Harriet. Deflating, Esmerelda nodded.

After a couple moments, sitting on the rocks alone. The brunette had decided to go back down, towards her tent. She shared one with Sonya and Harriet.

Esmerelda was contemplating on what to do. She was very bored. The brunette could hang out with her brother, but he was with Eric, God knows where. Leo had changed a bit as well. His hair grew longer and his face looked more mature, though he still had a soft aura.

Eric was one of Esmerelda's best friends. He was one of the many kids the Right Arm had saved from WCKD. Lately the two had been inseparable, well until right now.

Eric was a dark-skinned boy, with short brown hair. His eyes held tenderness to them, with a hint of mischief. It was one of the reasons Esme was glad to have a friend like Eric. He always tried to be enthusiastic, have fun and make jokes. Yet, he was friendly and understanding.

Without a warning, breaking her from her trance, Vince had appeared in front of Esme, alarming her. "Oh, I'm sorry 'El. I didn't mean to scare you."

The brunette smiled at the nickname, most of the members and kids had insisted on calling her 'Esme' or 'El'. Not that she minded. "It's alright, Dad. Did you need something?" Esme waved him off nonchalantly.

She hadn't realized what she just called him. Until he spoke out loud. "D-dad?"

"Oh! I'm sorry. I uh I just, I-"

"Hey, 'El, relax. I mean, I don't mind if you call me that. You feel like a daughter to me, and Leo is like a son to me too." He smiled softly, reassuring her.

"Really? You'd be okay with that? I mean it's not like we're your real children, I mean is it too much?"

"No! Of course it isn't too much. I'd love to be a father figure towards you and Leo. Real children or not, you both make me proud and happy. It's all I could ask for."

"Thank you, Dad." The two smiled and embraced each other into a hug. Until Vince pulled out of the hug, with a distressed look on his face. The small brunette furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"Do you think Leo would be okay with it? Me being a father figure to him? To both of you? Oh no, we should talk to him right, like as of now."

"Woah! Don't worry, Leo and I talk about this all the time." She stopped his rambling, Vince pulled a face with the mixture of shock and confusion. Before he could reply Esme cut him off, smiling gently. "I know Leo would love to have you as a father."

The older man smiled to himself. He had always wanted children. With everything that had happened in the past, there was no way of that. However, Esme and Leo came along, biological or not the two would always be his children. Although there were many other children at the camp, the two siblings made him feel whole again.

"Right, was there a reason you stopped by?" The young girl asked, tilting her head a bit.

"Oh yeah, we need to head to my tent. Start preparing our move out." Esme nodded, following Vince out of her tent towards his.

Walking in, the female noticed Harriet, Eric and Mary sitting as well. "Where's Leo and Sonya?" She asked the dark-skinned boy.

"Oh, he was hungry, went to try and sneak some food. Dragged Sonya along with." Eric informed her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as she sat next to him.

They all laughed at that. Of course he was hungry, and dragged Sonya too.

Vince clapped his hands together. "All right, shall we get started?" The other four nodded, starting to plan everything out. A while later, Mary had left the group going to help some kids in the medical tent.

A/N: This chapters kinda boring, however it does show and speak about the relationship between Esme, Vince, and Leo! I hope you enjoy, I wanted to add the fact that Esme and Leo have Vince as a father.

- Elle