10 | Greenie

It's been a whole month. A whole month of Esme living in the Glade. Today they would be getting a new greenie. She was excited to finally have a new greenie, she hated how some of the Gladers hadn't called her by her name yet.

Getting a new Greenie also helped her get her mind off the banishment of Carter. That was three days ago.

Alby informed Esme that she didn't need to use her pole to banish Carter. She was new to being keeper, he didn't think she needed to do that.

Her first day as keeper turned out pretty good as well. Everyone wasn't surprised to hear she became the new keeper. Most were elated she had became the newest keeper.

The Gladers thought she had a soft touch when she bandaged everyone. She was kind, but she was tough. She handled herself well. Esme was gentle, her calm voice helped others stay relaxed while getting patched up.

It's why they chose her as a keeper. She was strong, independent, and kind. Of course she didn't know that. They decided to keep it that way.

•••
Esme was walking to the kitchens with Newt next to her. They both grabbed their plates of food, thanking Frypan. "New greenie today, you excited?" Newt asked, biting into his food.

Esme smiled, "fuck yeah!"

Newt turned to her, going into 'mom' mode. "What did I say about that language."

"I'm sorry.. you can't expect me to use your glader slang. It's just not right.."

"You know you used our slang once before."

"What? Must be the wrong girl."

"Esme, you're the only girl."

"Ah shit, fuck, sorry! Sorry!"

"Oh Esme.." Newt sighed.

Suddenly turning their heads hearing a loud voice, "That was beautiful!"

Minho

Esme and Newt looked at each other in confusion. "What?" They asked in sync.

"Its like.. a beautiful play."

"You're not making any sense Min." Esme replied startled not knowing what was going on.

"Ah shucks. I'm never making any sense. Anyways i'm off to the maze." He waved bye to the two friends running into the maze.

"Bloody hell, what's up with him."

"I never know Newt, never know.."

•••
It was 30 minutes later. Esmerelda had just finished bandaging a slicer. "Good to go." She smiled.

Abruptly, everyone had heard the new greenie alarm. Everyone had started walking towards the box.

Esmerelda had hoped it would be another girl. She was the first, who's to say there won't be anymore?

Waiting patiently, 30 minutes it had finally came up. Gally had opened the box. Much to Esme's disappointment, it was a boy, he looked younger than her.

He had a mop of curly hair. His eyes were a bright blue. He looked frightened, well of course he was. He had no idea what was going on.

"Morning Greenie, rise and shine." Gally jumped down in front of the poor boy, scaring him.

"W-Where am I?" The boy shakily asked, tears forming in his eyes.

Esme felt bad, Gally and the some of the other boys teasing and laughing at him was not helping at all. "Come on Gally, the poor boy is scared. He looks like he's gonna shit himself."