Chapter 8: Extinguishing the Torch

I have been busy playing the legendary edition haha! Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoy the chapter! 

Something I want to address is that for the first ME game it feels like there are missions that have a lot of repeated combat. Like with this specifically, it was "take down the three torches" which, other than a few things, involved the same type of combat for a lot of it. In order to not make the story super repetitive, I am going to explain the first fight in detail and then kind of generalize the next ones since they are similar. The detail will come in for parts that are unique or just conversation or remarks that the characters might have. This will save me time so I do not have to write the same thing over and over, but do my best to word it differently and it will also make reading the story (hopefully) less stale. I hope this makes sense and does not come off as me being lazy.

"Solid landing. Mako systems are green across the board." Tali says in the seat next to you as the dust outside of the tank starts to settle.

"First fusion torch is about 250 meters out. Looks like multiple shielded turrets stand guard so we will have to get close to get a shot." Garrus says from behind you.

"Hello? Hey?" You hear come from the Mako radio. "Can you hear me?"

"Yes. This is-"

"Shhh...they will be able to hear you if you are too loud."

"This is Lieutenant (L/N) of the SSV Normandy." You respond in a more hushed tone. "We are wheels down on the asteroid and on our way."

"Take out the fusion torches first before you try to rescue us." She responds. "It is important that you shut them down and make sure it does not colloid with Terra Nova."

"Understood. We will work as fast as we can."

"God speed and best of luck to you all." The radio goes silent.

"No time to waste. Best we get to the first torch as quickly as we can." Garrus remarks.

"Take out those turrets once we get close." You say as you start to drive forward. "Don't want the nice new paint you put on to get scratched."

"You are something else." Tali groans from the passenger seat. "We are on a rock hurtling towards a planet and you are cracking jokes."

"I like it. Eases the tension a bit." Garrus comments. "We could just get into an argument if you want...or just pester you." You let out a snort of laughter, earning a punch on the shoulder from Tali.

"Right...ahem...Garrus that is immature of you." You say as you drive on.

"Coming up on the first torch. Turrets are starting to come online." Garrus says from behind you.

"I will try to keep her steady for you Vakarian." You respond as you flip a switch above you, sliding extra armor over the windows.

"Returning fire." You hear the gun let out a burst of bullets as Garrus begins the assault. A rocket comes hurtling at the Mako, but you swerve to the side in time as you push forward.

"Rocket incoming from the left!" Tali yells.

"Heard you!" Garrus continues to shoot at the turret in front as you lift the Mako into the air, letting the incoming rocket hurtle underneath you and crash into the turret to your right.

"Two of em down! Two more to go!" Garrus yells as he swivels the gun and continues to fire.

"Hit it with the heavy stuff Garrus!" The Mako shakes a bit as Garrus launches a rocket towards the turret, causing it to explode into pieces. A few moments later another missile rips through its target.