Chapter 15 - The Plan

Draco stared at Hermione, hardly believing what he was hearing.

"What?"

Hermione swallowed and nodded. "There's a potion... It's very old and very complicated, but... it's our only hope."

Draco's mouth fell open. A potion? That could save Harry?

"But how-"

"It's known as the Versatèz potion. Also commonly referred to as the drink of death." Hermione looked at Draco, willing him to hear her out.

"Drink of death?! Granger what the hell? He's already bloody dying!" Draco looked at her incredulously, confused as ever.

Hermione held up a hand to silence him.

"I haven't finished," she said with pursed lips.

Draco rolled his eyes and raised his eyebrows, folding his arms and sitting back, gesturing for the girl to continue.

Hermione took a deep breath. "The Versatèz potion, known as the drink of death, renders any magical creature human. In other words, should someone who is not entirely human, drink the Versatèz potion, they will be changed into a human state."

Hermione bit her lip as realisation passed over Draco's face.

"I've heard of this potion before..." Draco mumbled quietly, looking down at his hands, deep in thought. "It was used centuries ago on those creatures who had defied their kingdom's rules... But it was a punishment?" Draco looked questioningly at Hermione.

The girl nodded, indicating that Draco was correct. She looked out across the lake and continued.

"The potion was used as punishment for those who had committed sins against their people - those with magic or simply those who were creatures of magic, would be rendered to a human existence and banished from their kingdom. That's why it's known as the drink of death... because those who drank it felt that by now leading a human life, they had been given a death sentence."

Draco snorted. "Sounds dramatic as fuck if you ask me."

Hermione let out a quiet laugh. "Yes," she said, nodding at him. "I suppose it is."

"So..." Draco started, unsure if he wanted to say it aloud. "What you're suggesting is... I drink this potion?"

Hermione closed her eyes before briefly looking up at Draco.

"Yes," she answered quietly. "If you drink the Versatèz potion, you will become human."

"But then..." Draco furrowed his brow. "But then Harry would no longer be my mate. The magic would be gone."

"It's the only way to save him," Hermione said, her voice barely audible. "By drinking the potion, you will be human, cutting any magical bonds between you and Harry. Harry will no longer be your mate because you will no longer be a Veriae... and thus, Harry won't have to die... because he will no longer be tied to you."

Draco took a deep breath and swallowed. He knew this was the only way. He knew this was the only way they were going to be able to save Harry.

But a little niggle in the back of Draco's mind just wouldn't leave him alone.

What if he doesn't love me anymore? What if the only reason he ever felt anything for me was because of the bond? What if... if i become human... what if he wants nothing to do with me?"

Draco pinched the bridge of his nose and bit his lip. There was no debate about this. He couldn't let Harry die. He'd rather Harry hate him than him be dead. It was the only way.