Chapter 4 - The First Task

A week had passed and it was the day of the first task. It was four in the morning and Draco couldn't sleep. He was nervous, worried, for a reason he couldn't fathom from his mind.

He got up and started pacing the tiled floor of the dormitory, tapping his fingers together, agitated.

Eventually his pacing began to irritate him and he couldn't take much more of the stuffy bedroom.

Slipping on his shoes quickly, Draco silently made his way out of the room, trying not to disturb his fellow Slytherins.

Shutting the door quietly behind him, he crept down the spiral staircase and across the common room, coming to the door.

The boy eased out of it slowly, and stayed close to the walls of Hogwarts. He slithered down the endless corridors and hallways, before coming to a stop as he neared the outside.

He walked a few more strides, before he was fully exposed to the cool morning air, his lungs taking deep breaths.

The sky was still dark, and everything became still and silent. The stars shone, little beads of light beaming down at him. It was truly beautiful.

The breeze whipped at Draco's hair, but he didn't make any amends to flatten it back down. No one was out here anyway.

Draco was about to turn to go back to the Slytherin common room, when some movement over by the lake caught his eye.

He stopped and looked past the grounds to the edge of the lake where a figure was standing, his back turned, with his hands in his pockets.

The mop of back hair told Draco exactly who was standing at the waters' edge. He wanted to go back to bed as he was getting cold, but his curiosity overpowered him.

Draco walked the full length of the grounds, to the edge of the lake, where Harry was standing a few meters away.

"Potter?" Draco whispered.

Harry jumped, and turned around in surprise. "Malfoy? What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same," the blonde replied. The two stared at each other for a few moments before Draco looked away sheepishly.

"Sorry I scared you, I couldn't sleep," Draco mumbled, looking at the floor.

"Neither could I," Harry stopped and looked towards the forest, rubbing his eyes.

Draco felt the same feeling as he had felt when he found out about Pansy and the badges, and it ate at him.

After a few minutes of intense awkward silence, Draco looked up at Harry to see confusion etched on the shorter boy's face.

Draco knew Harry was looking for answers, as he had put Harry in intense confusion and frustration for the past week or so.

The Slytherin sat down on the bank and crossed his legs, resting his head in his hand, looking up at Harry.

The latter looked as confused as ever, if this were even possible, and took a few steps back.

Draco sighed and broke eye contact, rubbing his eyes with his hands. He looked at Harry who was still standing, and caught sight of the boys feet. They were bare and blue.