Prologue

I heard it on the radio first, what was happening. Things seemed ok at the beginning, until they weren't. I guess we all just trusted that the military would be able to handle it, that they would protect us and it would be a short lived plague and we would move on. That's what they told us. They lied. Now we were the only ones left, regular people.

The car hummed underneath us as we drove, kicking up gravel and debris along the side of the road. I looked out the passenger side window for the majority of the ride, watching as we passed them. Teeth snarled and arms extended, reaching for something, anything. Their bodies continued to corrode but their activity never seemed to fade, they were everywhere. Around every corner. The dead were always waiting.

Me and my dark skinned companion had gone on a supply run for our camp, returning with little to show. We were at an army base with a ton of other survivors, just trying to get by. She has family back at the camp, a son, boyfriend. I don't have anybody anymore but sometimes I think it's better that way. I grew up in a loving family for the most part,  never too serious and always sarcastic. That's where I get my charm. I was just an EMT before this, nothing much but it payed the bills. I got used to seeing the bodies so it isn't much different now, except it's the complete opposite.

"No," is what brings me back from my thoughts. I look forward to what Michonne is referring to, our home, it's gone. "Andre!" She shrieks and tears pool in her eyes. The concrete buildings are surrounded by the dead, bodies litter the ground and our fences are no longer standing. It's a damn graveyard.

Hello guys, I'm Lexi the writer of this story. I absolutely love TWD and just want to put my spin on it and I hope you can enjoy my work as well. Feel free to comment, vote, and even give suggestions! It's greatly appreciated! :)