12

I make my way back to the house we were at where he chopped the walker's head clean off. I stab it through it's chomping head and look up to a running Daryl headed for me. "Hey! Where's my brother? Did you kill him?"

"He let me go. He's on a suicide mission," I shrug.

"Don't let anybody come after me," he grunts and runs in the opposite direction.

-

It takes awhile, a couple has and it'll be dusk but I'm back to the prison without fault. I stroll up and Rick opens the gate and looks at me stunned. I'm not happy with him but at the same time I can't blame him for considering it. He shuts the gate quickly and looks at me for an answer, something to say.

"I get it, you needed to think about it. I'm not happy because I'm with you, but I get it." His blue eyes are filled with concern and still searching.

"I'm sorry," he mutters.

"Daryl went after Merle, I don't know if he made it in time," I grumble. I nod to Rick and walk past him into the cellblock, searching for Michonne. I set down my sword on a table and rush into the cells searching for her. She exits our cells and a surprised smile spreads across her face. She rushes up to me and embraces me in a hug.

"I wanted to come after you but Daryl told me not to, he said he would find you," she exhales.

"He didn't find me, Merle let me go," I shake my head and we pull away from each other. "Daryl went after him but I don't know if he got there in time." Michonne slowly nods her head and looks at the ground. Now that I'm back, I can feel my head pounding again. I carefully pull out my ponytail and feel my head for blood, which to no surprise is a yes.

"I'm going to have Hershel take a look, make sure I don't need stitches," I shrug and walk out. Hershel is now sitting on a table and I sit in front of him.

"Rick asked me about it," he starts. "I told him to make the decision however he needed to, he needed the chance."

"I know," I nod. "This is his family. I would've done anything to protect mine." My mother was a high school teacher and my step father, truly my dad, was a police officer, hence why I know my way around guns. I had a younger sister I would've done anything for and an older brother that got on my nerves but I loved nonetheless.

"What happened to them?"

"Both of my parents were at work when it broke out, my dad was a cop and my mom was a teacher. Some kids at school went crazy and my mom was one of the first to go," I exhale sharply. "My younger sister was a senior in high school so I'm assuming I know what happened to her but I never found her. My brother was working as a mechanic and I went to his house when I heard about it. Him and his fiancé were already gone, they left without me."

"I'm sorry. I lost my wife, step son, and some people I was very close to." His words are like knives to my heart, this sweet old man has lived through agony.

"I'm sorry too," I give him a pitiful smile. "Aside from the mental health, I came to have you check me for a concussion."

"Alright, let's take a look." He runs a few tests and checks my vision, asks me some questions. Nothing seems too out of the ordinary. "Get some rest and I think you'll be feeling better tomorrow, probably just a headache."

"Thank you, Hershel."

"Just so you know, you're family now. We're in this together," he gives me a hopeful smile and I return the gesture before standing to walk away. I grab my sword as I pass by it and walk into our cell. Michonne isn't there so I just lay down on the bottom bed and soon enough I'm fast asleep.