21

It was a long night but we're moving on, searching for Terminus. All of us are quiet, afraid that talking will open gates to the horrible things we've seen and done. Daryl is being distant but he's still there. Carl can see his dad still, but he looks through him. Our feet crunch leaves as we walk along the tracks, the temperature is dropping and it's starting to get cold.

I have a thick field jacket on and a maroon shirt underneath. My jeans and boots are covered in dirt, as well as my body, and my feet are starting to ache from walking so much.

We come up to a sign showing where we are and where terminus is. "We're getting close, we'll be there by sundown," Daryl nods.

"Now we head through the woods, we don't know who they are," Rick replies coldly. We turn to our left and head into the woods one after another.

-

"Fence!" Rick whispers. I pull out my handgun and we all walk cautiously up to the fence that had protruding sharp poles. We line up and look through, there are giant letters that spell Terminus spread out on the front of a brick building. It's silent, there's no one in sight. "We all spread out, watch for awhile. See what we see, get ready, we all stay close," Rick commands. I follow in the same direction as Daryl and walk with my gun in hand still. After a few minutes of walking alone, I catch up to Daryl.

"How's Rick?" I ask curiously. Daryl shrugs and grunts, which isn't abnormal from him.

"He's worried about Carl."

"Yeah, I get it. That kid has seen too much," I shake my head and sigh, envisioning all the things the poor boy has seen and done. When his mom gave birth to Judith, he was the one that shot her so she wouldn't turn. He shot his own mother.

Daryl doesn't say anything else and we make out way back to the others, Rick begin burying our bag of guns. I shove my sword in their for safe keeping and take the gun with my instead. We head to the back and hop the fence, spotting no one. Running, we open the door to a building and file in, heading toward a voice and light shining through a doorway. We round the corner and walk in, a woman sits at a desk with a headset on, talking into a microphone. She keeps repeating their slogan and directions to terminus. "A sanctuary for all, a community for all. Those who arrive, survive. Terminus." There are others too, painting signs and maps at desks.

We startle the woman and she cuts off the broadcast, I still have my gun in hand and point it at the ground. Rick all's forward and addresses the people in the room. "Hello," Rick calls to no one in particular.

"Well, I bet Albert is one perimeter watch," a man with dark brown hair drops a paint brush on a table. He walks forward slowly and addresses us. "You here to rob us?"

"No, we wanted to see you before you saw us," Rick walks forward and holsters his weapon. The man awkwardly smiles and looks around before turning back to Rick.

"Makes sense," he then throws his hands up and closes the gap between us some more. "Usually we do this where the tracks meet, welcome to Terminus," he gestures with his palms to the sky. "I'm Gareth. Looks like you've been on the road for a good bit."

"We have," Rick replies hoarsely. "Rick, that's Carl, Daryl, Michonne, and Luna." Gareth awkwardly raises his hand and waves with an uncomfortable smile.

"You're nervous, I get it. We were all the same way," he throws a hand back to the people behind him. "We came here for sanctuary, that what you're here for?"

"Yes," Rick's tone is stern and untrusting.

"Good, you found it. Hey Alex," he calls to a man that walks forward with a grin. "this isn't as pretty as the front, we got nothing to hide, but the welcome wagon is a whole lot nicer." He chuckles. Nothing to hide? He made that a point to say it. Nothing to hide. "Alex will take you, ask you a few questions. But first, we need to see everyone's weapons, if you could just lay them down in front of you." His voice grows serious and his eyes harden.