1. The Box

11th May, 2019. Finabbles' café, 5:58 pm.

"Happy birthday gurll!" All shouted.

"Yea yea thanks."

Mishti was now irked by her friend's cold behavior. "Why so dull yaar. We seem more exited than you on YOUR birthday. At least give a group hug, eh?" Mishti got off her chair, calling for a group hug. Others decided to play smart and didn't move a muscle.

"Don't. You. Dare." Sayli replied, narrowing her eyes. Her emphasizing on each word meant that she was dead serious. 

"Girls be happy she agreed to meet today. Or else her room and books was her plan for today." Said Maya.

Maya. Sayli's closest friend. If not for Maya, Sayli would not have appeared for her own birthday celebration. That is because Sayli does not open up to everyone about anything. Its only Maya who shares few talks with her, yet being distant. Not at all a social person.

They had arrived at the Finabbles' café for the celebration along with two other friends: Natasha and Kriti. All studying in the same college, final year, B.A.

"Thanks for the gifts, I have to go now. Bye."  Saying so, Sayli left the café. She hardly hangs out with others and prefers reading different articles on the internet to kill time. Not interested in using social media apps or chilling with friends. Sayli has always been distant to everyone. Always.

At Sayli's home, 9 pm.

"I'm back. Mumma, dinner."

"Go wash your hands and come fast, its your favourite food today."

Sayli settled down on the dinning table with her plate full of kadhai paneer.

"Yum. Best as always." She said stuffing the food. "Where's Papa?"

"He will come late today as usual. Sayli.....Listen. I have something to give you."

"Is it some birthday gift? Really?" She never received gifts for her birthdays, but some money instead. And she preferred it that ways. She gets to decide whether and where to spend.

"Kind of. Come on now finish the dinner." Her mom left. Sayli looked at her mom leaving the kitchen and returned back to stuffing her favourite dish.

.

.

.

"What's the gift mumma."

"Sit here." She looked unfaced while talking. She took out a box. An old but unique box. It was black in colour, with a beautiful embroidery on it. It's condition indicated that it is like an ancient thing.

"Oh what's in this?" Sayli questioned her mother, eyeing the box

"I don't know." Sayli narrowed her eyes on her reply. "Listen Sayli. This box was given to me by your Nana (maternal grandfather). Before he left us all, he had told me to give it to my child when SHE turns 20. I don't know why he mentioned 'she'. What if you were a 'he'? Anyways, he had told me that this was made by your Nani (maternal grandmother). Only you will open this box, he had informed. I tried opening it at first but it wouldn't budge. It doesn't even have a lock or anything. Take this, try opening."

Sayli tried opening the box with all here might. No result.

"Huh. Of course it wouldn't open. Anyways. Take this. And for the last time, Happy birthday." Her mom gave her an envelope and left her room.

Sayli opened the envelope to find her birthday gift. "Woahh. Two thousand rupees. Yess."

Sayli placed the amount in the secret compartment of her cupboard and her attention was drawn back to the box. 'What's with the box?' She wondered what her grandmother had left for her.

'Anyways. I gotta sleep now.'

Sayli kept twisting and turning on her bed, unable to sleep. 'That box.' She got up and took out the box from her cupboard. 'I can't sleep out of curiosity. I'll just break this thing.' For the last time, Sayli subconsciously tried opening it. And great, it opened without any hesitation. She frowned, but then gasped, thinking what her mom had told her.

'Only you will open this box,....'

This was no joke. Sayli looked inside the box and found a letter, followed by a scroll. 'Wahhh. This has to be a thriller movie's plot reveal.' She opened the folded letter and started reading. The first line itself left her shook.

'Hey Sayli, I am your Nani, Darshini'...

.

.

.

Sayli couldn't sleep that night. She was frustrated after all she read in the letter. She did not want to believe it and wished that this was all just a prank. Moreover, her half-sleeps due to that  nightmare made it worse.

'This shit is more complicated than what I thought.'