9. 1959 (2)

It's been two days since Sayli was staying at their house. She helped them in their works. Rashmi was rarely at home but whenever she was at home, she would keep her talks sweet and short. Sayli very well knew that she is just being sweet because her parents told her to be and she wasn't liking it. She always got irritated by the fake smiles that Rashmi gives her.

They were on their way home, buying necessary groceries for the week. The couple was telling Sayli about the surrounding areas, thinking that she will recall her home. Sayli obviously did not pay much attention on that discussions. She was busy thinking how will she find her Nani. As much as she liked this era, she obviously wanted to go back as soon as possible. 

'I don't want to imagine what mom must be thinking. It's been almost three days I haven't gone home. She must be worried.'

"Sayli are you even listening?" Uncle's voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she nodded. "So this where we buy most of our stuff. The owner knows us well, so tell me if you need anything."

"Sure I will. Thank you."

As soon as they reached home, they settled the groceries in the kitchen and uncle went out for his work of a translator while aunty and Sayli went for kitchen work. They were cooking for lunch when Rashmi entered the kitchen and saw them talking and giggling.

"Oh you both are having fun I see? Can I join?" She said while smiling innocently at Sayli.

Sayli very well knew that she is being sarcastic. So she played along. "Oh that would be great but I suppose you have heard that too many crooks spoil the brook?"

"Yes I have, I was well attentive in school. And I by joining you both, I meant joining your gossips." Rashmi replied, still giving that smile.

"I guess we can give up on the 'gossips' if you want to join. Lets talk about something else aunty?"

Aunty was annoyed by their nagging. "Both of you shut up now., Rashmi, why did you come in the kitchen?"

"I wanted to talk to you about the deal you had made with Rama-"

"Ah yes we will talk about that later. Now if there's nothing else, go." Aunty stated and went back to washing the vegetables. Rashmi was internally pissed, but she managed to put on a smile towards Sayli and left. 

Sayli scoffed, which caught aunty's attention. She laughed and asked, "Now, why are you annoyed?"

"She smiled for no reason? Like I know you don't like me here, but still."

"Isn't it right to behave properly? Except for your first meet, you both were good. Now what happened?"

"No it's not! Why to pretend when you don't like someone?" 

Aunty was confused at her behavior. She was... looking angry? Of course, Rashmi is her daughter after all. "You sure have a different thought process. Fine, that's what you think. Anyways what should we make today?"

Sayli understood that aunty is disappointed. So she shrugged it off and not bring it up again.

.

.

.

It's already evening and Sayli is back home after wandering in the village to find any clue about what she could do in this situation; she couldn't figure how to find her Nani and her mother. She had asked people about anyone named Darshini, but the name was new to all. Tired and defeated, she returned back at uncle and aunty's home. 

She entered the house and heard the couple talking- more like arguing. In order to respect their privacy, she thought of entering from the back door of the house, until she heard a specific name.

"...so Mr. Ramanand told me that, no one else should have known that fact!!!" Uncle was whisper yelling at aunty, who looked pissed as well. Sayli stopped on her tracks when she heard the name Ramanand. 'That name is familiar.... but there's no 'Ramanand' that I know.' She thought, and continued eavesdropping.

"What's wrong if I told her? She is our daughter after all! She wouldn't disclose it to anyone. Trust her." Aunty replied in defense.

"There's some reason why he is hiding himself and his wife right? He believed in me in respect of the fact that he will hide her in the houses behind the mountain. So if anything happens, I will be responsible for her!"

'Oh ok uncle you spilled quite a lot tea there.' Sayli internally laughed.

"So you don't trust our daughter, huh."

"I do, of course. But you never know what can happen. She was better off not knowing anything."

"Whatever said and done, Rashmi knows it now; so talk to her. Believe me, nothing will happen."

Sayli heard footsteps coming out of the house and quickly went towards the backyard, up to her room. She was so quite that neither of them heard her entering the house. After hearing the conversation of the old couple, she was confused. Not about the situation, but about the fact that why is that situation bothering her so much.

And she was back at it. A sleepless night after a long time. Ever since she came here, she has been sleeping early at 8 and waking up early at 4. Weird, right. She checked the time.

"8:38 pm  Ahhh. Why am I so worried about that, I have my own issue to solve. And who is this Ramanand? That name sounds familiar but unfamiliar. Ramanand Ramanand Raman-  Ok wait....Raman? oh no can it really be my Nana? But mom never told me his name as Ramanand, it was always Raman. Is it just a coincidence? Yes, probably." She just kept talking to herself, making sure she isn't missing any points. She remembered her memories of her mother telling stories of Nana. She always used to tell that his name was Raman, not some Ramanand.

"No this can't be! Raman is most probably Ramanand; a.k.a. my Nana. I believe this theory is correct. So he and Nani are apparently hiding, but why? Did Nana get to know about the threat to Nani's life and so he is hiding them both? No but the letter said that she couldn't tell Nana anything as he was out for some work. This incomplete info is irritating me...."

Sayli kept repeating every point to find a conclusion while walking in a circle in her room, when she recalled the whole conversation between the couple. She frantically opened the door of her room, yet making sure that others don't wake up. She realized that there was no one in the house, but that didn't stop her from running out.

She ensured no one saw her leaving and ran towards the mountains...

"If Ramanand and Raman are the same persom, means my Nana, then Nani must be stay somewhere behind the mountains. Yes, finally something I figured out. 

She was running like a dog is following her, unaware of the fact that not a dog, but someone else is following her.