four; atlantis

"Hey Bella, it's Dallas

"Hey Bella, it's Dallas. I'm coming over tomorrow to check up on you I thought I would let you know. I miss you, please talk to me." Dallas James softly spoke into her phone, as her mother shook her head sympathetically from the other side of the kitchen bench as she continued sipping her coffee. 

Dallas James was almost the spitting image of her mother. With the long blonde hair, the same dimples that dotted both cheeks, the identical sharp cheekbones that made their features more prominent and the same twinkle in their eyes, it was a no brainer that the two were related. The only subtle difference was their noses, Dallas's was more button like, while Monica's was more pointed. And while Dallas had tight curls and her hair was significantly lighter, Monica's was more wavy and darker. Dallas assumed she had a similar nose to someone on her fathers side of the family, considering everyone on her mothers all shared the same nose.

"Darlin', you can't help someone who doesn't wanna be helped." Her mother's thick Boston accent broke the younger girls trance. She placed her phone down on the bench, and looked at her mother with so much sadness, the older James woman's heart broke. 

"I just can't give up, you know? She's my friend, and she's suffering. I've tried everything, she's just not opening up." Her mother sighed, leaning across the bench to push her daughters curls out of her eyes. Monica James was immensely proud of the young girl she had raised solo, it hadn't been an easy task by any means but every day she felt a little better in her parental abilities when she saw how caring her little girl was becoming. Dallas didn't know who her father was, but Monica did. Every day Monica felt incredible guilt that she was keeping it a secret, but it wasn't out of spite or malice. It was for the young girls protection. Because her father had already abandoned his son, Monica knew if she introduced them when Dallas was little she would be setting her up for the same heartbreak his other son faced everyday.

But Monica did want her only child to know her brother, especially since Dallas was hanging out with one of his closest friends. She was planning on telling her soon, but she had a sneaking suspicion the girl might figure it out sooner than she was planning on telling.

Monica's mother was born on the reservation, whereas her father was born in Boston. During one weekend when Allie James had gone to Boston for a college tour, she had met Monica's father; Theo Myers. After a drunken one night stand, Allie found herself pregnant and alone. For the first few years of Monica's life, Theo was pretty absent. Until one day he got a hot shot lawyer, and applied for custody of Monica. Thus, causing her move to Boston. Monica saw her mother every weekend, a month and a half during summer, every second thanksgiving and every Christmas eve. Although Monica loved Boston, she loved her mother and the reservation more. Her father noted that, and when Monica turned ten years old, Theo returned her to her mother. Monica and Allie liked to believe that he was doing the right thing, but they both knew he wanted to do the disappearing act again. She never heard from him again. The only reminder she had of him was the Boston accent she was never able to get rid of.