thirteen; brutal

A thousand thoughts were racing through the small blonde's mind, as hysterical laughter continued vibrating throughout her tiny body. The boys all glanced at each other warily, until Jacob let out a piercing howl that broke their attention away from the laughing girl, and only increased her laughter. 

Sam gestured to Jared, whilst Paul continued trying to calm down. "Embry, take Dallas back to Em's. Jared, I need your help and for the love of god, someone ring her mother!" Dallas wheezed, throwing a thumbs up in the direction of the three men (plus wolf), while Embry helped her stand. With a quick look of concern in his imprints direction, Paul begrudgingly turned around and followed his alpha. 

Once standing, Embry glanced down at his best friend. "Dallas, are you okay?" He asked quietly, eyes still on her as her laughter began simmering down. 

Wordlessly, she nodded. The taller boy sighed, before bending his knees into a crouch. When Dallas shot him a confused look, he gestured to his back. "Piggy back, I really don't think you're in any state to walk." Dallas walked behind him and jumped, wrapping her thin arms around his neck once he grabbed her legs. 

The duo quietly walked through the dark woods, Embry not wanting to scare his best friend any more than she might already be, and Dallas thinking hard about what she had just witnessed. 

It felt like minutes before the two reached the small cottage home that Sam and Emily shared. She frowned when she saw her mother's car in the driveway, alongside Sue and Harry's, and Joy Aterea's. "Council members usually come by when we phase, y'know to explain everythin' properly." Embry explained, walking up the three wooden steps and into the warm home. 

The chatter of the room instantly died down once the two best friends entered, and Dallas wished nothing more than to run and hide. Monica spotted her first, awkwardly standing as her daughter's hazel eyes flicked in her direction. Dallas glanced at Embry, who nudged her shoulder lightly in encouragement. Her mother's arms were warm and welcoming when she finally reached her. 

Monica ran one hand up and down her daughter's back, whilst the other was holding her head in a motherly face. "It's gonna be a lot to take in, why don't you sit down so we can explain everything." Dallas shook her head against the crook of her mother's neck, wanting nothing less than to sit down right now.

"I missed you." The blonde admitted, her voice just above a whisper. Monica sighed, one of complete content and relief. She met Billy's eyes, who had rolled around the table to greet his son at the door when he finally phased back.

"I missed you too, so much. But now,-" Monica pulled her daughter at arms length, removing one arm from her shoulder and moved it to her daughters face as she lightly pushed the wayward hair out of her eyes. "-you need to hear everything, so that all of this makes a little bit of sense up here." And with a quick tap on her head, the mother daughter duo shared a final smile before Monica directed her to a seat at the table.

Sitting at the table already was Old Quil who greeted the younger girl with a wise smile which she warily reciprocated. Beside him, was his daughter Joy who's worried brown eyes were darting to the door every few seconds. Emily wandered over a few seconds later, placing a mug of hot chocolate in front of the shaking teenager, which Dallas responded with a small 'thank you' that was more of a whisper than anything else. Harry Clearwater said nothing, -not that he said much anyway, he was a man of few words- instead opting to wrap his arm around his best friends daughter. To which, she leaned her head against his shoulder as a form of comfort.

Harry gently placed his own head atop her own, and chuckled lightly. "This will all make sense soon, I assure you Dallas, you aren't in any danger whatsoever." Dallas sighed, but nodded anyway. She didn't know what to make of any of this. She was all of a sudden finding out that the legends she had been told as a child, were in fact real. A world she blissfully believed to be normal, was actually filled with men who turned into wolves. A world with effortlessly beautiful beings, who had skin as translucent as the finest baby powder in the world, crimson eyes that haunted their prey, or in some cases, golden eyes that-