Chapter 2

Alina, Inej and Jesper spent a week on the ship together - laughing, talking, and all around just having fun. Jesper wrote two letters to his parents while he was on the ship. Unlike him, Inej had decided not to write a letter to her parents - she wanted to surprise them. Alina didn't judge her. After all, the former sun summoner herself preferred to wear boots so she could kick down doors. She liked to make dramatic entrances.

After 7 days, the trio docked at Ravka. As soon as she stepped down from the ship, Inej began to run, Jesper and Alina running after her.

Alina knew Inej was ecstatic to be back where she belonged. She watched Inej sprint- through the markets, and finally to a meadow filled with flowers.

Alina saw Inej fall to her knees. Slowly, she and Jesper leant down beside her. Inej had tears in her eyes.

"This...this is it. This is the place where I used to spend my childhood. Maybe..."

Alina looked, and saw some people, Suli no doubt, laughing and talking. There were two people in the group who were a man and a woman. They moved like Suli acrobats, and as if sensing something, they turned in the direction of Alina, Inej and Jesper. They froze.

Alina's breath hitched.

"Inej," she whispered in the girl's ear. "Stand."

Alina and Jesper helped her up. Inej stumbled, and Alina braced her against her.

"How did...how..."

"Your steps will always lead you home," Alina said, remembering Ana Kuya's words.

You will always be one of us. Zoya had said that once, gifting a kefta which Alina had cried into. Alina knew that no matter where Inej went, her parents would always be ready to welcome her into their arms.

"Mama! Papa!"

Inej took off, running at full speed towards her parents.

Alina and Jesper ran after her, managing to get to the group. Inej was hugging her parents, and Alina smiled. She was glad Inej got back what had been cruelly ripped away from her.

Inej turned to Alina and Jesper. "These are my friends," she said. "This is Jesper and Wylan."

"Jesper and Wylan! Lovely to meet you. Come, come!"

Alina wanted to cry when Inej's mother pulled her in for a hug. She hadn't had someone hug her like this for a very long time.

"Where are your parents?" Inej's father asked.

"In Novyi Zem," Jesper replied.

"I don't have any," Alina said quietly. "I'm an orphan."

Inej's mother touched her face. "I am sorry," she said. "It must be hard."

Alina blinked, surprised at her emotional reaction. She laughed and wiped away her tears.

"I have my own family. A found one."

"I am glad."

That night, Alina and Jesper spent time with Inej's parents, eating lots of food and having a good lie-in into the next day. It was early afternoon when Alina got ready to go to the palace.

"Inej, will you stay here?" Alina asked.

Inej shook her head. "I'm coming with you." She put a bag on her shoulder. "I want to see more of Ravka." She turned to her parents, touching their faces. "I'll come back," she said. "I promise."

After the three had hugged Inej's parents, they set off. Alina, Inej and Jesper hired one of the carriages available. They paid a wad of cash, and with a grin, the person sped off, leaving Inej's family for the gigantic structure of the Little Palace.