Chapter 3

When Alina had gotten changed and had put her hair in a complimentary scarf, she went downstairs to the banquet.

Leoni was stunning, with a peach gown, her black braids tumbling down to her waist. She would be an amazing princess, Alina thought. It was true. Leoni had the kindness and bubbliness of a fairytale, smiley and utterly beautiful in the way she looked and moved.

Inej and Jesper were dressed smartly, with Inej dressed in a lehenga, and Jesper dressed in colourful patterns that made Alina feel happy.

Alina beamed as Zoya came down from the stairs. She looked absolutely gorgeous in her blue gown, her crown on top of her head. She raised an eyebrow on seeing Alina dressed in blue too, then walked towards her and took her hand.

"Ah. I'm glad I have someone else wearing blue. Didn't want to be the only one."

Alina smiled. Zoya squeezed her hand and the two sat down.

Across the table, Adrik Zhabin kissed Leoni's cheek. Alina watched her commander beam with happiness. She was glad Leoni had found someone that made her happy.

Opposite Jesper and Inej, Nadia and Tamar took their seats.

"So," Tamar asked. "How goes mapmaking?"

"Good," Alina responded. "Lots of things to do."

"What things?" Nadia asked, leaning forward. Her curly blonde hair was tied in a ponytail, her dark skin complimenting her gorgeous purple dress.

Out of the corner of her eye, Alina could see Jesper and Inej tense. It was clear they didn't want the others to know about what they did for a living.

"Well-" Alina started.

"Baking," Zoya said. Alina scowled at being interrupted. Zoya tossed her hair back, and Alina could see the etherealnik trying not to smile. The white-haired person smiled at her before turning back to Nadia.

"Yes, baking. Learning how to use knives, stuff like that. It can be rough on the streets of Kerch." It's not just about guns, you know, Alina was about to add, but then she remembered Mal's letter and how she'd led people with guns into a death zone.

"You're not in Ketterdam, are you?" Tamar asked, wide-eyed. Adrik leaned forward. Alina could see he was holding Leoni's hand under the table as he ate with his good arm.

"I hope she's not. Heard there's loads of criminals there."

Zoya pursed her lips. "We know that." She sighed. "Let's just hope Nina isn't with them," she muttered to herself.

Alina's eyebrows furrowed when she heard Zoya's comment. Nina? When did Zoya know Nina?

As if sensing the tension at the table, Leoni clapped her hands. "So!" she said, startling everyone to attention. "How's the food?"

"Amazing," Alina beamed. It reminded her of the food she'd begun to cook with Mal at the orphanage.

"I haven't tried it before," Inej said. "What is it?"

"Fish drizzled with lemon and herbs."

"Yummy," Jesper said. Alina was surprised when she saw Jesper had nearly finished.

"You're fast," Tamar said. She turned to Alina. "You, on the other hand, are slow! Come on, eat more!"

Inej blinked, clearly surprised by Tamar's remark. "I didn't know Wylan was always like this! I thought she just ate slowly ever since she joined our organisation because she was nervous or something!"