Chapter 4

Oncat jumped onto the windowsill and mewed. Alina looked up and saw Genya stroke her. She watched as Genya picked Oncat up and took the cat across the room over to David, where she settled into the space next to him in a large armchair. Genya continued to stroke Oncat and David kissed her cheek, making Genya giggle.

Alina smiled, then sighed and stared into the fire. Today, everything was more relaxed. She'd get to work in the evening but right now, she just wanted to savour this moment of quiet.

Leoni walked into the room, humming a song that Alina hadn't heard. Adrik was beside her, his arm looped through hers. He murmured something to her and Alina watched as Leoni laughed. She smiled tiredly at the couple, and Leoni went over to her, a worried look in her eyes.

"Alina," she murmured, her voice quiet. "Are you alright?"

"I'm tired. Weirdly so."

"Food coma?" Genya piped up from the armchair. Oncat struggled out of her grip and dropped to the ground. She padded over to Alina, who picked her up and settled her on her lap.

"No...I don't know why, but I just feel like everything - even movement - is too much for me lately."

Leoni pressed a cool hand to Alina's forehead. "You're not burning up." She frowned. "Maybe this mission is taking a toll on you."

Alina frowned. "What do you mean?"

"You're constantly hiding your true identity from others," Adrik said, settling down onto an armchair. "It's an exhausting thing to carry on for such a long time."

Alina shook her head before staring back into the fire. "I'll be fine."

"You're not listening," Adrik said with an urgent tone. Alina looked at the officer and pursed her lips.

"Inej and Jesper can keep their aliases and be fine because they know that once they get to the Slat, people will call them by their true names. You don't have that luxury."

Alina rubbed her temple and closed her eyes, letting out a deep breath.

"I...I guess you're right." She didn't want to open her eyes, so she stayed near the fire, still, except for when Oncat mewed. Then, Alina cracked open an eye to see the cat looking up at her.

"Go," she said softly. She reached out to stroke the animal. Oncat purred before obeying, leaping down from Alina's lap and going over to Leoni, who cooed to her in Zemeni. Alina smiled as she closed her eyes.

I'll take a nap, she thought. Then, I'll start work.

With that, Alina steadied her breathing, and she plunged into darkness.

_

"I'm taking her."

"Fine." Kaz looked at Alina, irritated. Alina crossed her arms.

"She isn't someone for you to covet, Kaz. She's her own being."

"You think I don't know that?"

Alina pursed her lips, watching Kaz walk across his study, the thump of his cane alerting her to his every move. "Inej is an investment."

"She's a person," Alina snapped back. "Kaz, I know you don't see Inej as one, but if you did, then you would let her go."

Kaz whirled. Fear spiked in Alina's heart, but she didn't back down from her remark, even when Kaz stared down at her, murder in his eyes.

"Listen to me," he hissed. "You are under my command."

"I know that."

"I could kill you, right here, right now."

Alina calmed her panic. "Do it, but Inej is still free. I paid off her indenture. She isn't bound to you anymore, and neither is Jesper."

Kaz raised an eyebrow. "Neither is Jesper'?"

Alina felt her heart rate beginning to slow down. "I paid off Jesper's debts," she said slowly. "He's not under your command anymore."

Kaz turned round. Alina watched as he tapped his chin thoughtfully from behind, and clenched her fists. Irritating prat, she thought to herself. Was this even worth the information Zoya would gain about Ketterdam's criminal activity?

Yes, it is, a voice said. Alina had the good sense to listen.

"So, you would say that they're gone?"

Alina nodded. "They're coming with me to Ravka."

Kaz turned around, surprised. "You're going to Ravka?"

"Well yeah." Alina dared to raise an eyebrow at him. "You gave me leave, remember?"

Kaz tapped his chin, and Alina felt chills go down her spine at the gesture. Then, Kaz gave a smile that made her step back and the hairs rise on her neck. His eyes were flat and black, like a shark's.

Alina wanted to scream, but the sound was caught in her throat.

"Ah. So I did."

_

Alina woke up, gasping for breath. She looked down at her shirt. She needed to change it. Luckily, this living room was on the same floor as her bedroom, and she was alone.

Going to her room, Alina unlocked the door, shut it and locked it. Alina quickly changed out of her clothes before stepping into the shower. She turned on the taps and sighed as she washed her hair and body. Yes, a shower was just what she needed after that strange memory dream.

After getting changed into fresh clothes and drying her hair, Alina looked in the mirror. She tied her white hair into a ponytail, then tied her scarf around her head. Happy with her look, Alina settled down with a cup of tea. She was about to start sipping it when she remembered she hadn't reported to Leoni about her progress, and nearly dropped her cup.

Quickly covering her hair with a different scarf, Alina went outside and walked towards Leoni's room. She was about to knock when she heard a meow. Alina looked down and saw Oncat rubbing her head against her leg. With a laugh, the person picked the animal up.

"Who's a good kitty? Who's a good kitty?"

"Mew!"

Alina giggled as Oncat nuzzled her face. As she did, Leoni opened the door. She looked tired, but was still smiling.

"L-Leoni!" Alina stammered, caught off guard. She fumbled to keep Oncat in her arms; the feline was clambering over her arms a lot. "Mind if we come in?"

"Of course!"

Leoni giggled and scratched between Oncat's ears as Alina kicked the door closed behind her. The person put Oncat down on the floor, and then stood up to face her commander.

"So. Report," Leoni said. Alina put her hands behind her back and began to speak.

"Leader of the Dregs is named Kaz Brekker. Alias is Dirtyhands, due to his ability to get anything done, including beatings and murder. Extremely cunning, ruthless, and a dangerous adversary to have. The Dregs are the number one gang in Ketterdam. They are rivals with the other gangs - The Black Tips, the Dime Lions...those are at the top of my head."

Leoni nodded. Her smile was gracious. "Thank you Starev. You may leave."

Alina beamed. Giving Leoni a quick hug, she picked up Oncat and opened the door with one hand. As she did, Adrik stepped sideways into Leoni's room. Alina winked at Leoni. "Have fun," she said before closing the door.

When she got back to her room, Alina closed her eyes. Adrik was right - she couldn't keep this up for long. Kaz was beginning to realise she wasn't who she said she was, and the other members of the Dregs were beginning to see the cracks in her facade.

This wasn't fun and games anymore. It was a race against time to keep her guard up - and to keep her identity a secret before this mission was over.

Alina could do it.

Couldn't she?