Chapter 12

"Do you think Inej will forgive me?"

"Who's Inej again?"

"Uhhh. Black hair."

Kuwei squinted. "Right. That clears things up."

Alina sighed as Kuwei put down his card. "She's the only Suli person on this ship."

"Ohhhh. To be honest, I haven't seen much of her since I arrived," the Inferni said as Alina put down her card. Alina chewed her lip.

Inej had always been good at being silent and unnoticeable. With the Dregs, it was a blessing. Here, in this situation, it was a curse.

It had been five days since Kuwei and Bo had arrived, and they were nearing Ravka. Alina couldn't bear the thought of not clearing things up with Inej - but she could never find her! Even the idea of not facing Inej until they were in the Little Palace alarmed Alina.

The sun summoner grinned at her card, then slammed it down, putting her hand on it. "Ha! Snap! I win."

Kuwei snorted, standing up.

"One day, you should play against my father. You'd lose."

Alina got to her feet and put her hands on her hips. "Oh yeah? Well, I...don't know if I would lose."

Kuwei stuck his tongue out at Alina, but he was smiling. The Inferni walked to Bo's cabin, and Alina sighed, stretching again before going over to the kitchen. There, she began to make tea.

"Hmm. Maybe I should talk with Leoni again...I haven't in some time," Alina said to herself. It's only been two days, but I miss her.

Alina finished making the tea, closed her eyes, and sipped it. She then opened her eyes to find Inej leaning against the door, cleaning one of her knives.

Alina spit out her tea. She panicked, looking wildly around for a tissue before grabbing one from the small counter and clearing it up. Alina tried to find the bin, and panicked again before settling for putting the tissue in her pocket. Then, she leant on the counter awkwardly, trying to look calm and failing to do so.

"Hi."

Inej looked up, and immediately looked concerned. Alina froze.

"Are you okay? You look like a deer in headlights."

"Ha! Ha ha! Ha. Deer."

Smooth, Alina.

Inej cocked her head to her side, confused. Alina tapped her finger on the counter, not breaking her gaze. They stared at each other, neither moving.

Inej opened her mouth to speak, and suddenly Alina rushed forward.

"Inej I'm so sorry I should have told you I-"

"Deep breaths."

"What?" Alina looked at her, confused, until she realised she wasn't breathing properly. Slowly, she forced her breathing to steady, then looked at Inej, who sighed.

"I...I know now. Why you joined the Dregs." Inej looked out the window.

"You know, huh?" Alina stuffed her hands in her pockets.

Inej nodded. She looked back at Alina.

"You wanted to see if Ravka could make a deal with Kerch. So you joined us to see if the gangs would interfere."

Alina nodded once. "That's right."

Inej closed her eyes. "I just wish you hadn't lied to me."

Alina's heart sunk. "Inej..."

"I thought you were dead. But, you're here in front of me, alive. I don't understand."

Alina stepped forward, taking Inej's hands in hers. "Then let me help you understand," she begged. "Please."

Inej nodded once, and Alina pulled her into a hug. "I have an orphanage in Keramazin. I'm going back there after this is finished."

Inej nodded again, and Alina pulled away from the hug. "I'm sorry," Alina said earnestly, her hands on Inej's shoulders. "I know this won't do much, but I hope you have a better understanding of what I'm doing now, at least."

Inej suddenly hugged her. Alina was surprised at first, but slowly hugged back.

"I know what you do now. You make the world a better place. Thank you."

Inej pulled away, and Alina smiled. Suddenly, Oncat appeared by Inej's side, and Alina exclaimed, "Oncat! Why do you have my food?"

"Mew!"

Oncat darted away, and Alina ran after her.

"Oncat!"

Inej began to laugh, really laugh - it was the first time Alina had heard her make that sound since they'd started the journey. After five minutes, Alina came back with Oncat in her arms, looking weary.

"So this is really what you're like." Inej smiled, reaching out and stroking Oncat, who purred.

"Yep. A disaster."

Inej snorted. "Like that time Oncat got into Kaz's office and disturbed him during a meeting with Specht."

Alina flushed. "Yeah...that wasn't great."

Inej laughed again. "Kaz didn't know what to do because Specht just picked Oncat up and began stroking her."

Alina giggled. "Kaz doesn't know why Oncat doesn't like him."

"Hmm." Inej scratched behind Oncat's ears, and Oncat mewed happily. "He'll change. Oncat doesn't have to like him. Do you Oncat? Do you?"

Inej picked Oncat up and nuzzled her nose with Oncat's. Alina smiled at the scene.

Things would get better from here. She could feel it.