Chapter 14

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

"Wh-AAH!"

Alina screamed as Oncat jumped onto her and mewed.

"Oncat!" Alina heard Inej's voice scold the feline.

"It's okay, I'll take her out," Bo said.

Alina groaned, wiping the sleep from her eyes. She blinked groggily up at everyone.

"What?"

"You're 19 today!" Genya said. Leoni smiled at Alina, but Alina could tell Leoni and Adrik had been the ones to try and prevent this surprise, from the looks on their faces.

"For Saints' sake, let them get ready first," Zoya snapped.

Everyone filed out, and the door slammed. Alina winced at the noise, then stretched and yawned, getting to her feet. She brushed her teeth, washed her face, moisturised, and put on fresh clothes. Alina then put on her headwrap before walking out. With a grin, she strode down to the living room, where she could hear lots of voices talking. Alina walked in, and everyone cheered.

Alina got a lot of gifts - a new scarf for her signature headwrap; a blouse that was blue at the top but blended into white; jewelry; a new mixing bowl; a painting of the orphanage; and finally, a mug. Alina smiled widely. She hugged everyone in turn.

"Oh! If you want to, you should show us what the scarf, jewelry and blouse look like together!" Genya exclaimed, clasping her hands. Alina grinned.

"You got it."

She went to the bathroom, got changed, then put on the sun earrings and clasped the golden apple blossom necklace around her neck. Satisfied with her look, Alina walked back to the living room, and everyone clapped and talked excitedly to each other as Alina was led to the dining room.

For breakfast, there was a buffet of delicious foods, and for lunch, chicken and sausages and peas were served, with the birthday cake as dessert. It was when everyone was eating cake that Leoni touched Alina's shoulder and said to her, "there's someone here to visit you."

Alina nodded. Her entire posture changed. She grabbed the Fabrikated quill that could turn into a knife. Her time at the Dregs had made her more wary of visitors.

Alina walked to the palace doors, gripping her pen tightly. She kept her finger on the tiny lever that made the pen turn into a knife. However, when she recognised the figure immediately, she paused.

"Surprised?" Kaz's rasp asked. "You're Sol Koroleva. It wasn't hard to find you."

The words 'Sol Koroleva' sounded strangely right on his lips.

"What business?"

"I wanted to come here and tell you the authorities have stopped looking for you. I just told them an explosion went wrong and that you were hurt."

Alina's eyes widened. "So you...protected me."

"Starev. Wylan." Kaz took a deep breath and corrected himself. "Alina."

Alina smiled.

"I want to apologise for my behaviour. It was...wrong. I..." he sighed. "I just want to wish you a happy birthday."

Alina touched her chest. "I'm touched. You remembered."

Kaz gave a slight smile. "Well, I should be off."

"Wait! Come in."

Kaz looked at her. "W...what?"

"Come in! Have some cake."

"Into the palace?"

For the first time, Kaz looked unsure of himself.

"Yeah. If you want, I can just get you a slice."

Kaz nodded. Alina rushed to the dining table, cut a slice of cake, put it in a small box, then walked back to Kaz.

"Here you go."

Kaz smiled slightly. "Thank you, Alina."

"Come in. Just for a bit."

"Alright."

Kaz ate with the others, and Alina smiled. When he was done, he said, "I should really be off."

Alina smiled back. "Of course, Kaz."

She walked him to the door. They exchanged farewells. Kaz gave a nod, then turned and walked off. Alina sighed contentedly. She looked up, watched a crow circle above in the clear blue sky, and she smiled.

_

Later that day, Alina stood, looking at her home.

"Are you ready?"

Alina nodded. She smiled at all her friends, then faced forward. The sun summoner took a deep breath, then stepped forward onto the grass.

"Mal!" she called.

Her husband turned around to face the window. His eyes widened upon seeing her. He ran to the door, unlocked it, and flung it open. Tears came to Alina's eyes.

"Mal!" she cried.

"Alina!"

Alina ran to him, but Mal was faster. He ran to Alina and enveloped her in a hug. Alina hugged back. Then, she laughed softly as Mal lifted her up.

"Alina," Mal whispered.

He kissed her, and Alina kissed him back. She wrapped her legs around his waist, kissing deeper, before pulling away. Mal chuckled quietly, and Alina did too, leaning her forehead against Mal's.

"I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too."

They kissed again, and then Mal put her down. Alina beamed.

"Mal, I want you to meet my new friends!"

Mal greeted Leoni, Inej, Jesper and Kuwei, as well as all his old friends. Mal offered for them to come in and have tea and cake, but they refused.

"We have lots of stuff that needs doing. But...next week?" Zoya asked.

Mal nodded. "Next week. Wednesday?"

"That sounds perfect," Leoni beamed.

Alina and Mal hugged everyone, waving them off as they left in the carriages that had been waiting for them.

Mal then turned to Alina and hugged her before kissing her forehead.

"Happy birthday, beloved."

All felt right with the world.