Chapter 9

Alina walked in the hallways of the Crow Club. It was eerily silent.

It was usually lively downstairs, but today, it was quieter. It was like Ketterdam was waiting for something to happen, like it knew Alina's crime and twisted it. She felt like she could choke on the tension in the air.

Inej walked beside her. Alina didn't know why she'd insisted to go back to the Crow Club until she'd said, "I'm not done with Ketterdam." Alina herself had realised that even if you grew up, you could always go back to where you changed. She had the orphanage waiting for her, and it was where her life had started. It was like everything had come full circle.

The Suli girl looked at her. "I'll wait outside. You go in."

Alina nodded, steeled herself, then knocked. There was no raspy voice saying, "come in." In fact, when Alina had opened the door, there was no one there.

"Hello?" she asked.

Inej peeked from behind the door. "He's not there?"

"No."

Suddenly, from outside, Alina heard a chuckle.

"Good to see you, Wraith. I assume you're waiting for Wylan?"

Alina glared at Kaz's back as he walked in, but stood to attention, spine rigid, when he turned around to look at her.

"Mapmaker."

"Brekker."

"What business?" Alina asked.

"Why did you go to Ravka?"

"I come from Ravka, you gave me leave, I decided to have a vacation."

"With Inej and Jesper?" Kaz asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Aw, did you want to be invited too? Unfortunately, I only allow nice people to go with me."

The corner of Kaz's mouth lifted upwards at Alina's response. "And yet here you are, talking to a horrible person."

"Well, my vacation was interrupted."

"Shame. Would have gone smoothly if I hadn't found out you were lying."

Alina clenched her fists. "I was in the army, Brekker. I fought against the Darkling. My name is there. What more do you want?"

"I called you here, actually, because I'm revoking your decision."

Alina put a hand on her hip. "Excuse me?"

Inej came out from behind the door and stepped into the room. "Kaz, what are you talking about?"

"I'm saying, you need to come back to the Dregs, Inej."

Alina's anger flared. That same energy that had been disturbing her in Ravka now thrummed constantly in her veins.

"You can't just revoke Wylan's decision! That's putting me back in a place I don't want to be!"

"That's not the point, Inej."

"Yes, it is!" Inej stepped forward, slamming her hands on the desk. "Wylan paid off my indenture for a reason! She wants me to be free!"

"I freed you."

"No, you didn't! I chose this life myself!"

Alina didn't speak. The build up of energy under her skin was getting unbearable. Her mind screamed three words over and over, and suddenly, she had an overwhelming urge to speak them. So she did.

"Let her go."

Inej looked at Alina. She slowly stepped back, and Alina stepped forward, in front of Inej.

"No," Kaz said.

"Let her go." Alina clenched her fists. This wasn't right of Kaz to do. If he said no again...

The power running through her veins felt like too much. Alina needed to let it out. Maybe she'd deliver him a punch to the face. Maybe she'd flip his desk. Either way, she felt like this assignment she'd been given was coming to an end.

"No."

Alina closed her eyes. She thought of her friends, Mal, the orphanage. The pressure had reached its limit. It was going to blow.

I'm sorry.

Alina raised her arms slowly.

"LET...HER...GO!"

Alina's eyes snapped open, and she stretched out her arms. Finally, finally, the energy she'd been hiding in her veins burst free.

Her headwrap flew off, landing on the ground. Light streamed out from Alina's palms, destroying the windows of Kaz's office. Her eyes glowed gold. She felt strong, so strong. And more powerful than she'd ever been. Kaz was staring at her with wide eyes, in shock at her transformation. Alina's heart beat fast, her bones rattling from the energy she exuded.

I have my power back.

Then, just like that, her power vanished. She'd spent all the energy she'd been holding in. Alina did not feel strong now. Suddenly, she felt very, very weak.

The sun summoner swayed on her feet. Kaz stepped forward, whether to hurt her or to help her, she didn't know - and then she was falling to the ground, and Inej crawled to her. She must've crouched under the desk, witnessing Alina unravel.

"No!"

Alina stared up at Inej. I'm sorry, she thought as Inej cupped her face, seeing the Suli girl had tears in her eyes. I'm so sorry, Inej.

Inej didn't turn to Kaz for help. Instead, she outright ignored him and put Alina's arm over her shoulder, trying to help her up. Alina's eyes fluttered closed, and slumped to the floor again.

"No, no no no no no!"

Alina could hear Inej's panicked tone. She was fading in and out of consciousness, but she tried to keep her eyes open when Jesper ran in.

"Is everyone okay? I saw light streaming out of the windows." Jesper turned to Inej and saw Alina lying on the ground. "Alina," he said. The sun summoner looked up at him. Jesper picked her up in his arms. Suddenly, Alina realised that Jesper must have known she was lying all along.

"We need to get her to the ship," Inej said, grabbing her knives. "Where are Leoni and Adrik?"

"Running to the Crow Club," Jesper said. Or did he say that? Alina didn't know.

I feel so ill...

"We need to get out of here," Alina heard Inej say, urgency in her tone. "The authorities are coming."

"Oh, Saints," Jesper responded.

Alina wanted to cry, but she couldn't even do that. I don't want to die.

"Who said you could go?" Kaz demanded.

Inej turned around. Even from here, Alina could see anger and hurt in the Wraith's eyes.

"Who said you could keep me here?"

Then, Jesper was running down the corridors, with Inej hot on his heels.

They burst out into the cool evening air.

"Our ship's gone!" Jesper said, panicked. Alina turned her head.

"What?" Inej asked, alarmed. Alina heard shouting from the stadwatch, but she couldn't make out what they were saying.

"Our ship's-"

"Find a new one!" two voices spoke. Leoni's and Adrik's voices were clear and loud in Alina's ears.

"We'll hold them off!" Inej exclaimed. "Get to the warship! Go!"

Before Alina could understand what was happening, Jesper was running towards the warship, and the last thing Alina saw over Jesper's arms was Inej, Leoni and Adrik unleashing hell onto the stadwatch with their weapons. Then, Alina's eyes fluttered closed, and she welcomed the gathering dark.